Thursday 9 March 2017

The morning started dull and overcast, but by 09:00hrs the sun came out, making it feel pleasantly warm, so much so that my first two Butterfly species of the year were seen, a SMALL WHITE and a SMALL TORTOISESHELL, very nice!

Birdwise, the full patch walk provided me with a quite good tally of 46 species, with a pair of flyover GREYLAG GEESE (54) and a flyover CORMORANT (55) both being new for the March list, which already has tallied up as many species as the whole of February!

Other highlights were the MUTE SWANS that have remained on the Ornamental Lake since their arrival on the 6th, plus the KESTREL pair at the Greenhouse Grounds mobbing a BUZZARD that dared to enter their territory. A lone LINNET was also seen at the Greenhouse Grounds.

A few REDWINGS remain on the sheep pasture at Migrant Alley, but no Fieldfare were recorded today, a few SKYLARKS sang on the silage field at Bustard Hill, where there were also at least 3 MEADOW PIPITS.


Mute Swan

2 comments:

Simian said...

Warren...cant let you have my Cettis!! If I have a few spare at the end of the season I will box one up and post it over...im hoping a girly turns up...the longest a cettis has remained on site that I'm aware of in last 4 years or so...looking good for breeding...fingers crossed...

Warren Baker said...

I'll have to find my own cettis then Graham :-)