Monday 13 February 2017

At last, some sunshine!
The change in weather made all the difference to my full patch walk this morning, it doesn't increase whats seen, but it sure makes it a more enjoyable task! The 43 species I recorded were all 'core' species, that I would expect to see at this time of year, so no additions were made to the month or year list, a bit disappointing.

The best of what was found were the two raptor species of BUZZARD and KESTREL, the former flew low over the lakes, which were only occupied by 3 CANADA GEESE, the latter was found at the Greenhouse Grounds, only the female today, but the male was seen mating with her yesterday.

All the 'scarcer' woodland species of GOLDCREST, LONG TAILED TIT, COAL TIT, BULLFINCH, NUTHATCH, TREECREEPER, STOCK DOVE, GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER and GREEN WOODPECKER turned out either in the Wet Woods or Scrubby Woods, while the sheep pasture and paddocks at the Ashes Lane Fields, Pub Field and Migrant Alley, all had a good sprinkling of mixed winter thrushes, a couple of hundred FIELDFARE and REDWING in all I'd estimate.

YELLOWHAMMER, SKYLARK and MEADOW PIPIT were seen along High House Lane and over the silage field of the adjacent 'Bustard Hill', but I still await the first Linnet of the year to return to breed here.....if they can still find a suitable place!

Notable flyovers today were few, involving mostly Gulls, of which BLACK HEADED, COMMON and HERRING GULL were seen, but a few a SISKIN also went over, calling as they went, I still haven't recorded a Cormorant going over this month, unusual  :-(

Later in the morning, with the sun now flooding into a much larger part of my garden due to sun getting higher in the sky at this time of year, I was able to take a few images of the Long Tailed Tits that come daily to feed on the suet I put out, up to 14 are seen cramming on one feeder!


Long Tailed Tit


Long Tailed Tit (1/800th of a second later)



6 comments:

Derek Faulkner said...

It was certainly a lovely dry and sunny day but boy, when I got onto the reserve sea wall this afternoon to do the monthly WEBS count, was it cold in a strong E. wind. Mind you, a 180 White-fronted Geese landing 100 yds away from me was a nice sight.

Marc Heath said...

Nice to see a bit of sun today with the mild weather moving in as well. Great set of Long tailed Tit shots today, the sun making the difference I expect.

Marc Heath said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marc Heath said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Warren Baker said...

Marc/Derek
I think we will get an early spring this year.....well, I am hoping so!

Pete Woodruff said...

Excellent LTT shots, and 14 on your feeders, great stuff Warren.

The weatherman said feeling like spring mid-week, and I'm hoping to check out the Stonechats tomorrow.