Wednesday 26 October 2016

After a misty start this morning, some sunny spells developed, and in calm conditions it felt quite warm.

A visit to the lakes first thing didn't provide a Duck species for the months list, just MALLARDS and MOORHENS patrolled the water. The adjacent scrubby Woods was given a good look through, always a hope of finding a firecrest there, but not today!

I wandered over to the Greenhouse Copse to see if the STONECHAT was still around, which it was, very nice too, but it was too wary to be approached for photographs. As I sat on my nearby sky watching seat, eating my breakfast of a Banana and an Apple, I saw two LAPWING (70) fly over, nice to get 70 species for the month, but it's still a few short of the mean average tally for the previous 5 Octobers. BUZZARD, KESTREL and SPARROWHAWK were also observed hunting over the area.

The Greenhouse Grounds continue to be over managed, just the eastern side of it holds any habitat now, for how long I dont know  :-(

4 comments:

Marc Heath said...

A good tally for the month Warren. Hope we get a few good winter birds this year.

Marc Heath said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Warren Baker said...

A couple of common Ducks would suit me Marc :-)

Lancashire and Lakeland Outback Adventure Wildlife Safaris said...

Weekend to find another couple of species to get to your mean for October. Fingers crossed for you. Wind's still quite favourable.
All that ecocide nonsense is soooo frustrating....99.99% nothing more than wanton vandalism - they do my fruit!!!!!!!!!!

Chin up...or in my case chins up ;-)

Cheers

DaveyMan