Tuesday 12 July 2016

Initial sunshine soon disappeared as cloud built up by 08:00hrs, heavy showers fell by noon and throughout the rest of the day.

It was pleasant enough out around the fields of Migrant Alley in the early sunshine, as the wind had eased off a bit, however not much of note was seen on the circuit of the sheep pasture and paddocks there, just the usual ROOKS, CARRION CROWS, JACKDAWS, WOODPIGEONS, a coupe of GOLDFINCHES feeding on the thistles that escape the cutting regime, plus a couple of LINNETS.

I decided on a sky watch from my seat, and during the 2 hours recorded 35 species, the best being a pair of SAND MARTINS (57), the first species to kick off the Autumn migration. A couple of dozen SWIFTS also moved through, plus a BLACK HEADED GULL and a few HERRING GULLS. I watched the KESTREL pair and the BUZZARD pair up hunting, and listened to a SKYLARK singing over at the nearby Bustard Hill. There was a ''sing off'' between a WHITETHROAT, a BLACKCAP and a GREENFINCH at the Greenhouse grounds, I'd say the Whitethroat just about won!

SWALLOW, GREEN WOODPECKER, GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER, JAY, MAGPIE, COLLARED DOVE, STOCK DOVE, SONGTHRUSH, BLACKBIRD, CHAFFINCH, BLUE TIT, GREAT TIT, LONG TAILED TIT, WREN, DUNNOCK, ROBIN, PIED WAGTAIL, STARLING and CHIFFCHAFF were the other birds on my list  :-)

Only the dregs left from my blog photo folder now, the last images i've got, these I took in Wales last month.


Fly over Curlew


It would be nice to have this species fly over my patch  :-)


Nuthatch

2 comments:

Marc Heath said...

Like you, I would be very happy for a Curlew over the patch. Keep watching, the waders are on the move.

Marc Heath said...
This comment has been removed by the author.