Sunday 3 July 2016

Another bright start to the day, cloud eventually built up but it remained dry.

A full patch walk was undertaken today, when during the 4 and a half hour visit I recorded 47 bird species, with six of those being new for the July list. The first of those was the MISTLETHRUSH (44), of which 3 flew over Migrant Alley, where I also saw a BLACK HEADED GULL (45) fly over.

Other new species for the month included a COAL TIT (46) that was singing in the Scrubby Woods, a GREYLAG GOOSE (47) that was with 7 CANADA GEESE on the main lake, a SPARROWHAWK (48) that was hunting around the Small Holding, plus a HOBBY (49) that was seen to catch a SWALLOW over the Greenhouse Grounds, where just one young KESTREL was seen today. Three BUZZARDS were seen during my visit, making it a four Raptor species day.

On a sadder note for my patch, it was disappointing to see that the four old Plum Trees that were in a field  disused by the Greenhouse Grounds have been chopped down, the field is being brought into use apparently.  A shame as these gnarled and holey trees provided nests sites for many generations of Blue and Great Tits, the plums were nice too!

A Ringlet Butterfly was seen in the Scrubby Woods, a scarce butterfly here and the first ever to be found on this part of my patch.

Despite the nice bright conditions I didn't even get the lens cap off my camera - some days are like that! I do at least have a few 'blog brighteners' left from my wales visit  :-)


Spotted Flycatcher. A species now lost as a breeding bird at Pittswood


I've not even had a passage bird here this spring.


Tree Pipit. A species long gone from my patch. I just get the odd one turn up on Autumn migration.

4 comments:

Marc Heath said...

Another Hobby. Still waiting for my first at Nethergong. Maybe in the next few weeks. Nice Spot Fly images too.

Marc Heath said...

Another Hobby. Still waiting for my first at Nethergong. Maybe in the next few weeks. Nice Spot Fly images too.

Warren Baker said...

Marc,
Hobbies will become more frequent here as the Summer wears on, they like to hunt the Swallows that breed well here :-)

Pete Woodruff said...

Your SF is excellent Warren, with the top pic edging first place over the second for me. How very sad they no longer breed on your patch.