Wednesday 6 April 2016

Just a few minutes of brightness were enjoyed early this morning, when by 07:30hrs the wind and showery rain moved in.

It wasn't much fun being out at Migrant Alley this morning, the wind blew in squally rain across the sheep pasture and paddocks, where a lone BLACK HEADED GULL sat, but the flyover LESSER BLACK BACKED and HERRING GULLS didn't come in to join it.

I decided to stay where I was rather than visit the other parts of my patch, in the hope of seeing something nice pass through, and at one point I was sure I heard a Yellow Wagtail call as it flew over, I did see a speck high up that was wagtail like, but with the noise the sheep were making as they were fed their morning rations, I heard no more calls, so didn't record it  :-(

After that the weather closed in gradually, but my sky watch produced a few bits of interest, including a few MEADOW PIPITS heading NW, mostly singles, but two groups of 8-12 were also seen going over. A trio of GREYLAG GEESE and a lone CANADA GEESE flew east, a SISKIN was heard as it flew over, plus the raptor pairs of KESTREL, BUZZARD and SPARROWHAWK were all seen.

The only summer migrant species seen were 3 SWALLOWS and a CHIFFCHAFF at the Greenhouse Grounds, plus the female BLACKCAP that was back in my garden :-)

This April has started off a bit disappointing really, despondency is creeping in! So tomorrow i'm off for an away day with a friend to visit a few local reserves  :-) This is the third consecutive day I have failed to get any images, poor weather and lack of opportunities are to blame, so rather than have 3 posts with no images I have dug out an archive photo..........


Blackcap, from a proper spring!

2 comments:

Marc Heath said...

I got a soaking at Reculver today, nowhere to hide there when you are on the seawall. A few good bits though. Another away day for you, might get a bit of early morning sun if you are lucky.

Pete Woodruff said...

Don't let despondency set in whatever you do....Enjoy your day at the local reserves Warren.

Nice male Blackcap by the way.