Sunday 13 December 2015

Dank, dreary, dismal, dark, drizzly and thoroughly depressing weather made for a uninspiring patch visit this morning  :-(

I barely mustered up the enthusiasm to take a fresh supply of seed over for the finches at the Greenhouse Grounds, where the GOLDFINCH, GREENFINCH, CHAFFINCH, LESSER REDPOLL, ROBIN, DUNNOCK, BLACKBIRD, BLUE TIT and GREAT TIT all gathered as I spread the sunflower hearts on the wooden pallet. Nearby, half a dozen YELLOWHAMMER fed in the rough area between the Greenhouse Grounds and the Greenhouse Copse, which is their preferred area, surely they would be better off joining the finches to feed on succulent sunflower hearts than scrabbling around for tiny grass seeds!  Half a dozen SISKIN were seen in the Alder Trees and the female KESTREL sat on one of her favoured perches.

Looking out over a misty grey Migrant Alley, I counted at least 250 STARLINGS on the sheep pasture, along with those were a minimum of 100 BLACK HEADED GULLS and a sprinkling of HERRING GULLS.

3 MEADOW PIPITS called as they rose from the Ashes Lane Fields, where in the old shack, the LITTLE OWL stared out with its glaring yellow eyes, then and as I walked on, a skein of 13 GREYLAG GEESE flew low over, but a hoped for Canada Goose wasn't with them.

I checked the lakes, which were home to only the MALLARD and MOORHENS, as they are 99% of the time, I then had a look through the Scrubby Woods, which under the dripping tree's wasn't too pleasant. I did find a few GOLDCRESTS about though, plus a flock of LONG TAILED TITS, a NUTHATCH, a TREECREEPER and a pair of BULLFINCH.

A pair of STOCK DOVES, a JAY and 2 GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKERS were the best of what was seen as I headed homewards through the Wet Woods. The Small Holding had no fewer than 4 GREEN WOODPECKERS feeding together on the same large field.

I must conjure up some enthusiasm from somewhere for tomorrows walk!

These are the last of the images from the 'blog folder' - could be a while before I get any more, unless the light improves!


COLLARED DOVE



Starling

2 comments:

Derek Faulkner said...

That list of birds would be enough to get me out Warren, all I get is Marsh Harriers and White-fronted Geese.
Got our first WEBS for two years tomorrow, perhaps that'll turn up something different.

Warren Baker said...

I'd stay out all day for a record of a Marsh Harrier or White-fronted Goose Derek :-)