Monday 5 October 2015

Sporadic rain and drizzle made for a damp patch visit this morning.

I spent 5 hours walking my patch, where it was mainly very quiet, but I did add 3 more species to the October list. The first of those was a BLACKCAP (54) which was found at the Greenhouse Grounds, where there was also 2 CHIFFCHAFFS. The mixed flock of SISKIN / GOLDFINCH  continue to be found in the Alders there, today there was at least 1 LESSER REDPOLL with them. Both the SPARROWHAWK and the KESTREL were perched up on one of the greenhouses when I arrived.


Goldfinch at the Greenhouse Grounds, image from last week. 




The morning flyover of GREYLAG / CANADA GEESE was much later today, I was over at the lakes when they flew over at 09:30hrs, 40-50 of the Canada Geese dropped onto the main lake, along with 2 Greylags, but nothing else was on the water today.

Finding nothing but the usual regulars in the Scrubby Woods / Wet Woods I made my way back over to my seat at Migrant Alley for a skywatch, where, in constant drizzle, I saw a CORMORANT (55) going over, plus three, then two, HOUSE MARTINS (56), more House Matins were seen just to the east of my patch, along with a huge flock of STARLINGS, easily in excess of 1000 birds, they were spooked up by something unknown, they then lined up on the power lines, completely filling the 250 meter length of line between two pylons!

HERRING GULLS and BLACK HEADED GULLS were also seen flying through, plus a few MEADOW PIPITS and LINNETS started to drop into the sheep pasture, joining the Goldfinches that were already there, but nothing much more exciting than that was seen during the soggy visit today.


Cormorant ( from Sevenoaks Wildfowl Reserve)


I love the green eyes on these birds  :-)

No comments: