Sunday 25 October 2015

At last there was a bit of brightness today, although at times the sun was obscured by high cloud.

I did a full patch walk this morning, my 100th of the year, finding a great total of 50 bird species was quite befitting I thought  :-)


'A bit of Brightness' this morning


Sheep at dawn - Migrant Alley

Among the 50 species I recorded today were some bits of interest, for my patch at least, with 4 LITTLE EGRETS flying over, a single over Migrant Alley, and a group of three which flew over the lakes, where on the water today were a pair of CANADA GEESE, 6 MALLARD, a female MANDARIN DUCK and 4 MOORHENS. A CHIFFCHAFF was heard to sing a few phrases from inside the Scrubby Woods, which also had NUTHATCH, GOLDCREST, BULLFINCH, COAL TIT, GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER and at least 8 REDWING present. 

A LITTLE OWL called from the Small Holding area, where there was also a pair of STOCK DOVES and 3 GREEN WOODPECKERS. Small flocks of FIELDFARE and Redwing were frequently watched flying over as I walked my patch, as were a few SKYLARKS and a YELLOWHAMMER, plus quite a few small flocks of WOODPIGEONS passed over throughout the morning.

The Greenhouse Grounds held the SISKIN / GOLDFINCH flock again, but I only heard the one LESSER REDPOLL with them, the female KESTREL put in it's daily appearance there too.

Bird of the day for me came on my sky watch at Migrant Alley, for as well as seeing flyover GREY HERON, GREY WAGTAIL, HERRING GULL, BUZZARD, MISTLETHRUSH,  and MEADOW PIPIT, I also saw a female GOOSANDER (72), this the earliest date I have recorded this species on my patch, one more for the October list!


I ve recorded this as an immature Herring gull, but i'll have to check up on Yellow Legged Gulls later, just to rule that out  :-)


I spent some time this afternoon staking out my new bird bath, but apart from the WREN, only this Goldfinch came down for a drink, not the image I want though, I want to see some bathing action!


6 comments:

Marc Heath said...

Very nice top Goldfinch image. Would be nice to see the reflection as well. I think this idea of yours is going to work well.

Warren Baker said...

Marc,
The bath isn't big enough for reflections..................on reflection, I should have made it bigger LoL

Derek Faulkner said...

Super early morning shots of your patch again, it always looks so great, no wonder you get so many birds.

Warren Baker said...

Derek you'll have to visit one day......... things are not always as they seem!

Pete Woodruff said...

50 species on the 100th full patch walk of the year, sounds a bit like Warren Baker to me....Great stuff.

Lancs and Lakes Outback Adventure Wildlife Safaris said...

That sheep pic is a competition winner if ever I saw one Warren
Cheers
DaveyMan