Sunday 18 January 2015

A two and a half hour patch visit this morning started with rain and ended with rain, with a dry-ish spell in the middle, the mist and general murkiness of the morning made for a very uninspiring walk and don't even mention the mud!

There wasn't much happening about the place, only a KINGFISHER was of any note on the lakes, where the Coot was not seen again, one less companion for the immature MUTE SWAN!

Half a dozen LONG TAILED TITS fed busily in the bare twigs of the Oak trees in the Scrubby Woods, they, plus the GOLDCREST and a calling NUTHATCH were about the best of it there.

As I walked across the Ashes Lane Fields I put up at least 8 MEADOW PIPITS, then checking the old shack I could see the LITTLE OWL was home. I heard the cackling of a skein of distant geese which had me scanning through 28 GREYLAGS as they passed over, but I was hoping for my first Canada Geese of the year.

Over at the Greenhouse Grounds the KESTREL pair sat together on the greenhouses and a YELLOWHAMMER flew over, calling loudly as it went, a SKYLARK ''trilled'' as it flew high over and another 2 Little Owls were seen, these at the Greenhouse Copse.

A scan of the sheep pasture and Migrant Alley yielded mainly BLACK HEADED GULLS, but 5 COMMON GULLS were picked out as I checked for Med. Gulls among them.

Not a morning to be out long, certainly not one for the camera, bad news as  i've run out of blog pics to brighten the post  :-(

2 comments:

Marc Heath said...

Every days a day nearer to better weather and more birds. We will soon be out the other side.

Warren Baker said...

Marc,
A nice settled frosty spell will do me nicely !