Tuesday 21 October 2014

Early showers with a strong gusty wind meant little was seen on a three hour patch walk this morning, most of what I noted were flyovers, which included two skeins of GREYLAG GEESE, one of 9 birds and one of 6, plus a skein of 7 CANADA GEESE.  Two LESSER BLACK BACKED GULLS, a few single BLACK HEADED GULLS and dozens of HERRING GULLS whizzed through on the strong wind, plus a few SKYLARKS flew over, half singing and half calling!

A CHIFFCHAFF was seen along the Pub Field hedgerow and a couple of MEADOW PIPITS got up from the Ashes Lane Field. There were 9 MALLARDS over on the main lake, and 2 on the small lake, the ornamental lake had the usual MUTE SWAN family and a dozen MOORHENS on it, but it was pretty hopeless trying to find anything in the Scrubby woods with the wind so strong, especially as the SPARROWHAWK was whizzing around as well.

I made some effort at a sky watch from my seat at Migrant Alley, on the way there I saw a pair of BULLFINCH fly across Ashes Lane, then in the Greenhouse Grounds a GREY WAGTAIL was seen. My sky watch didn't provide anything of note, just more Meadow Pipits, Skylarks, Gulls, WOODPIGEONS and ROOKS, I spent more time watching the KESTREL pair behind me sitting on the Greenhouses!

Better luck tomorrow maybe ?

I'm down to the last of my images for the blog again...........................




3 comments:

Wilma said...

The photos may be the last be they are not least! Hard to go wrong with the blue tits and the gold finches.

Warren Baker said...

They are among the most common and colourful birds that visit my garden Wilma :-)

Marianne said...

They are corking shots :) Hope today has been better, certainly the weather has improved!