Friday 17 October 2014

A misty start to the day gave way to mostly cloudy conditions, interspersed with some short lived sunny spells, in which it felt very warm for the time of year.

I spent 3 hours out early this morning, and another 2 out around mid day, but there was not many birds around at all. The undoubted find of the day though, was yet another STONECHAT, it was found along the drainage ditch fence line at the Ashes Lane Fields, the third to turn up there this Autumn   :-)

A LITTLE OWL was seen at the Greenhouse Copse, and the KESTREL pair hunted around the Greenhouse Grounds, where a CHIFFCHAFF was also seen. On the adjacent sheep pasture and paddocks of Migrant Alley, the 40-50 strong mixed flock of LINNETS and GOLDFINCHES were seen again, plus at least 40 MEADOW PIPITS moved nervously around the fields, I say nervously as they were very much aware of a SPARROWHAWK that was in the area.

The lakes were a disappointment, with no visiting duck species to be seen, but of the scarcer woodland species, NUTHATCH, COAL TIT, LONG TAILED TIT, GOLDCREST and BULLFINCH  were all seen around the lakes side vegetation and Scrubby Woods.

On my second, later visit, I was watching the sky and saw what I initially thought was an Osprey coming directly at me from the north, I was thrown for a second by the colouring of the bird, but as it drew nearer I saw that it was in fact a very pale BUZZARD! Unfortunately, I had only got my 100mm macro lens on the camera, as I was hoping to photograph some of the Butterflies and Dragonflies that I had seen on the earlier visit, (that idea was thwarted when the cloud thickened up) anyway, I took a few photo's of the Buzzard, just to confirm its ID, I was trying to string it into a Rough legged Buzzard or Honey Buzzard  :-)

A very heavily cropped image, but you can make out it is in fact just a very pale Buzzard

The photo's dont do it justice, as it was a stunning looking bird  :-)


No comments: