Thursday 3 July 2014

Once again there were clear blue skies this morning, with very little wind, making for a very pleasant, if quiet patch visit  :-)

I spent the first 90 minutes sitting at my sky watching seat over at Migrant Alley, but only three species flew over, a LESSER BLACK BACKED GULL, a MISTLETHRUSH and a CORMORANT (57) at least the latter was new for the months list!  There were other birds about in the sky of course, these being local birds such as the SWALLOWS, SWIFTS, ROOKS, JACKDAWS, CARRION CROWS, WOODPIGEONS, and STARLINGS, plus one or two PIED WAGTAILS, CHAFFINCH, GOLDFINCH, LINNET, SONGTHRUSH and BLACKBIRD that flitted to and from the Greenhouse Grounds behind me, both GREEN and GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKERS flew past as well. Behind me, in the Greenhouse Grounds I could here the young of WHITETHROAT, BLACKCAP, WREN and DUNNOCK calling, a CHIFFCHAFF sang, and the KESTREL family chased about the place.

I eventually moved on to the Scrubby Woods and lakes, where in the heat of the morning very little was heard to sing, just the odd Chiffchaff and Blackcap. I tried to find breeding evidence for the Chiffchaff, but I still cant find any young ones!

As the morning wore on, the birds dissolved into the trees and bush's and all became quiet, so my attention turned to Butterflies and Dragonflies, which after much searching and patient waiting around, turned out quite good, with sightings of the first Purple Hairstreaks of the year, as well as a few images taken of a male Black Tailed Skimmer, and a female rufescens form of Blue Tailed Damselfly.

I watched this beautiful little Damselfly for some time

Seeing it catch and eat lunch



I also took a few images of the male White Legged damselflies, there are very few left now that all the long grass has been cut in the fields.

Male White Legged Damselfly


Common Blue Damsels were also in evidence, i'll post the Black Tailed Skimmer images up tomorrow!
 Male Common Blue Damselfly





2 comments:

Marc Heath said...

Nice Blue tail shots, the colours are superb.

Warren Baker said...

Hi Marc,
Be nice to get a Violacea form to complete the set!