Monday 26 May 2014

With the weather being cloudy, cool and at times rainy, my patch visit today was a rather short and unproductive one.

An early sky watch from my seat at Migrant Alley produced a few HERRING GULLS and a LESSER BLACK BACKED GULL, as well as a GREY HERON. A few SWIFTS, SWALLOWS and a pair of HOUSE MARTINS were all up chasing what few insects were available, the only other noteworthy species was a BUZZARD.

Looking from my seat out over the sheep pasture and paddocks I could see 4 GREYLAG GEESE, along with a crowd of WOODPIGEONS, ROOKS, CARRION CROWS and JACKDAWS, plus a few LINNETS sitting on the fence lines. Behind me, in the Greenhouse Grounds, I could hear BLACKCAP, CHIFFCHAFF and WHITETHROAT singing, I also saw the LITTLE OWL on the guttering of the greenhouses again.

In the Wet Woods and Scrubby Woods the trees were still dripping from the overnight rain, a male MANDARIN had joined the female with her youngsters on the pools of water in the Wet Woods, while the Scrubby Woods were still notable for the amount of young birds calling, TREECREEPERS, COAL TITS, BLUE TITS, GREAT TITS, WRENS, DUNNOCKS, ROBINS and the GOLDCRESTS were all found again.

The lakes were home only to the usual MALLARD, MOORHEN, MUTE SWAN and COOT, the later were feeding their respective young, they seem to be thriving  :-)

That was about it for today, tomorrows weather looks even worse, so the end of May looks as though it will fizzle out, but it has been quite successful this year so i cant complain. The poor weather has kept me indoors, so i have spent time on the Blog ( as you may have noticed) i'm still working o it to change things around, I have moved the links and bits from the side bar to the bottom of the page, and have put a few Tabs under the header photo, that show my photo galleries and lists, I will update the galleries with better photos as and when time permits!

No camera needed today in the poor light, but ive got a few butterfly shots left in the blog folder to put on todays post, hopefully at some point this summer the sun will return and I can find some more!

Common Blue male

Common Blue male

Common Blue female

Small Copper

4 comments:

Marc Heath said...

Much prefer this set up Warren, shows off the photos well I think.

Warren Baker said...

Marc,
I'm still tinkering with the image sizes ;-)

Alan Pavey said...

Much the same here Warren this morning.

Warren Baker said...

Alan,
Not looking good for a bonanza of Butterflies and odonata so far this summer :-(