Thursday 13 March 2014

Todays plan was to spend the morning out on my patch, and then get home in time for a visit from the boiler servicing man, he was due anytime after midday, however, there was such a dense fog over the area this morning, any kind of birding was hopeless, visibility was down to 20m out on the fields and paddocks of Migrant Alley, and I was making my way back home within an hour of being out, all I heard was a SKYLARK, a MEADOW PIPIT and a presumed BUZZARD ( but that may have been a JAY mimicking one, as they do here!)

I waited in vain for the fog to clear, but it stayed around all morning, the only birding I got done was looking out at my garden feeding station, which was thronging! here's what turned up in the 3 hours I watched, along with their peak numbers  :-)

BLUE TIT x 13
GREAT TIT x 4
COAL TIT x 2
LONG TAILED TIT x 2
CHAFFINCH x 8
GREENFINCH x 4
GOLDFINCH x 18
SISKIN x 5
LESSER REDPOLL x 4
HOUSE SPARROW x 2
DUNNOCK x 2
COLLARED DOVE x 4
BLACKBIRD x 2 ( seen nest building in the nieghbours tree)
STARLING x 5
GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER x 2
NUTHATCH x 2
ROBIN x 2
WOODPIGEON x 1
MAGPIE x 1
WREN x 1
CARRION CROW x 1

Much more was seen here than a walk around the baron farmland of my patch!

Once the fog had gone it turned sunny and warm, so I set to photographing those Lesser Redpolls whilst I waited for the boiler man to arrive. ( yes I know, I'm obsessed with getting a good image of one!)
This ones a certain for my keepers folder  :-)
There were two males and a female coming in
One of the males was ringed, but I could only get the last two digits
which were '14' but there looks to be a 4 and a 2 on the serial No as well
.
Lesser Redpoll
Here's a few images from yesterday too  :-)
Great Tit
Blue Tit
Siskin
Greenfinch



6 comments:

Lancs and Lakes Outback Adventure Wildlife Safaris said...

Some stunners there Warren
Fick fog all day here, the birder's nightmare :-(

Cheers

DaveyMan

Phil said...

Well if you're not satisfied with those Redpoll shots you never will be Warren:)

Warren Baker said...

Davyman,
Fog is just about the only weather that makes it pointless going out!

Warren Baker said...

Phil,
Must admit, I do like some of todays efforts :-)

Pete Woodruff said...

An excellent 21 species garden list accompanied by some equally excellent images, and you gave it 3 hours....that's called DEDICATION.

Anonymous said...

Nice one, Warren.