Wednesday 27 November 2013

With the builders not arriving until 10:00hrs today, it gave me a chance to get for a few hours this morning.

The weather was absolute grot! A misty, drizzly, dull and dark morning, so typical of November, made for an extremely disappointing visit, if I discount the 30-40 ROOKS that were feeding on the Pub Field and the numerous WOODPIGEON that moved about the area, I reckon no more than 50 birds were seen / heard in the 3 hour visit, probably the quietest I've known my patch, apart from after heavy snow.

It would be hard to pick out a highlight, if I had to I suppose the KINGFISHER at the Ornamental Lake would be it, or maybe the MISTLETHRUSH and SONGTHRUSH that were bravely singing in the damp misty half light of the Scrubby Woods, where I did also hear a BULLFINCH call and a LESSER REDPOLL flyover.

Large parts of my walk were completely birdless, just the odd calling GREAT TIT, scolding WREN and ''chacking' JACKDAW rang out from the gloom, reminding me that there were birds out there somewhere!

This is all part of bird recording in the winter though, looking back at previous November blog entries there were also dire days that had to be endured, it can and does change though.......eventually!

Good job i've still got a few images in the 'blog folder' of the birds at my feeders, hard to image it was so bright and sunny when I took them at the weekend. No such goodies at my feeding station today, it was all very subdued here too, but that, in most part, was due to the SPARROWHAWK!
NUTHATCH
.
.
.
.






6 comments:

Greenie said...

Warren ,
'Absolute grot' , got it in one .
Bring back the sun , and the Nuthatches .

Warren Baker said...

Greenie, it doesn't look too good tomorrow either!! :-(

Marc Heath said...

Lovely lighting on those Nuthatch shots, just nice to see the sun out.

Pete Woodruff said...

An excellent set of Nuthatch shots Warren.

Ken. said...

Warren.
Grotty weather and a 3hr walk. I admire you for getting out there and blogging how bad it was, and then changing the mood completely by posting some pics of a beautiful Nuthatch, wonderful shots Warren.

Alan Pavey said...

Great shots of that Nuthatch brilliant :-)