Thursday 7 November 2013

Ashes lane Field, I dog leg to the right at the Oak tree, to get to the Lakes
A typical November day today, grey and dull, but at least it wasn't raining this morning and with little wind it wasn't too bad  :-)

I walked to the lakes first thing, via the Ashes lane Field (above & below), as you can see, the fields hold little habitat for wildlife, and only a GREEN WOODPECKER and  3 flyover SKYLARKS were of note here, oh for the days when it was a half abandoned tree nursery!
Ashes Lane Field, a view to the Wet Woods
 Once at the Lakes, it was very much as it has been in recent visits, with the resident MALLARDS and MOORHENS seen, plus the KINGFISHER and the 2 pairs of MANDARIN DUCKS, there was no Cormorant or Grey Heron today, nor was there a surprise duck species visiting, .......one day!

In the surrounding Scrubby Woods I tried my luck at finding such rarities as Woodcock, Firecrest or Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, but of course, being rarities, I had no luck...again, one day!  I was able to locate TREECREEPER, NUTHATCH, BULLFINCH, COAL TIT and GOLDCREST easily enough though, and had some song from both MISTLE THRUSH and SONGTHRUSH to listen to.

I made my way back the way I came, and headed for the Greenhouse Grounds, noting many flocks of WOODPIGEONS flying over, all had between 30 - 40 individuals in them and they continued passing over for the next hour or so.
A view of part of the Greenhouse Grounds

The Poly Tunnels have now all been dismantled for the winter months
A LITTLE OWL called from the adjacent private garden, then carrying on my walk I recorded the Greenhouse Grounds regulars of BLUE TIT, GREAT TIT, WREN, DUNNOCK, ROBIN, PIED WAGTAIL, BLACKBIRD, two more Songthrush, plus four flyover REDWING. A flock of at least 40 GOLDFINCH fed in the line of Alders, a good size flock to get here. A few CHAFFINCH and GREENFINCH were also seen, and another pair of Bullfinch. Flyover SISKIN and MEADOW PIPIT were heard, but I still have no sight or sound of a Fieldfare going over this month!
Looking NW across the corner of Migrant Alley, into the Greenhouses Grounds
A KESTREL was again seen hunting over the above vegetative area, the other was dozing in its usual place on a raspberry support pole.
Kestrels resting area  :-)
Nothing outstanding today then, but it was good to be out!

No comments: