Wednesday 16 October 2013

I made an addition to the months list in the early hours of this morning, at 01:30hrs I awoke, and after a visit to the loo, I noticed the bright moon shining through the window, all looked still and clear, excellent for Owls I thought, and sure enough, after leaning out the window and listening for just 2-3 minutes, I heard a pair of TAWNY OWLS (71) calling, great to hear in the still night air.

6 hours later I was out on my patch, but it proved utterly hopeless, as a dense fog had shrouded the area.
My sky watching seat at Migrant Alley
I walked over to the Greenhouse Grounds and Migrant Alley, but most birds were still at roost, with just a few 'ticking' ROBINS, 'scolding' WRENS and 'cawing' CARRION CROWS heard somewhere out I the fog, which had reduced visibility down to 70yards.

I made a visit to the Lakes and Scrubby Woods hoping the fog would have lifted by the time I arrived there, but it hadn't, I hung around for half an hour, hearing NUTHATCH, TREECREEPER, COAL TIT, BULLFINCH but saw nothing! I peered into the fog across the main lake, and could just make out the MANDARIN DUCKS tucked up under the overhanging trees.

I decided to head home and wait for the fog to lift, but before it did the rain came in, making for a very wet, dark and dismal remainder of the day  :-( It's only just brightening up now as I write this at 16:00hrs.

I did make another trip to the lakes around 11:00hrs, confirming the presence of 8 Mandarin, but not much else, just a few MALLARD, MOORHENS and a GREY HERON, I soon got fed up with the rain and fog, and conceded defeat for the day.

I had frequent scans of my garden during the afternoon, the feeders there attracting 16 species, one of those being the SPARROWHAWK which has made a return, taking an immature CHAFFINCH. After that nothing much turned up! A bit of a none day all round today, good job I heard the Owls this morning!

Got a few photo's yesterday whilst the sun was out, from my garden feeders again, something to keep the blog brightened up  :-)
LONG TAILED TITS
Chaffinch
GOLDFINCH
NUTHATCH


1 comment:

Greenie said...

Warren ,
Good job you made use of yesterday's sunshine , that was grim today .
Never stepped outside the door .