Thursday 18 July 2013

Hollyhock
The hot weather continues, so another early patch visit was made today to avoid the worst of the heat. Not much is changing though, birdwise the highlight of a walk around the paddocks and pasture at Migrant Alley was seeing a HOBBY being harassed by a flock of 20 odd SWALLOWS, the STARLING flock wasn't too bothered by it though! A SKYLARK was heard singing again, as was a BLACKCAP that was in the Greenhouse Grounds, along with a WHITETHROAT that gave a few alarm calls, 16 GREYLAG GEESE were seen in with the sheep. As I watched the sky, a pair of BULLFINCH flew into the tall hedge behind my seat, but the sky watch itself only produced HERRING and BLACK HEADED GULLS, as well as the only 2 SWIFT of the day.
Greylag Geese on the Sheep pasture
A YELLOWHAMMER sang from the hedgerow along High House Lane, and the SPOTTED FLYCATCHER was seen at the Western end of Ashes lane, no sign of any young yet though. As I walked to the Scrubby Woods via the Wet Woods I heard the 'mewing' of a BUZZARD somewhere above the canopy.

I again made an effort to photograph a Purple Hairstreak once in the Scrubby Woods, but although two were seen they remained high up again, very frustrating! A circuit of the Scrubby Woods was made, and most the regulars were found - NUTHATCH, TREECREEPER, GOLDCREST, COAL TIT,  two more Bullfinch and families of both CHIFFCHAFF and Blackcap were the best of it. Talking of Bullfinch, I had another one in my garden today, a superb male, I missed it with the Camera though! Also in the garden today was a juvenile COLLARED DOVE, about time I added this species to the Successful breeding list, although they aren't that plentiful here, probably less than ten pairs nest on my patch.

A few Butterfly and Damsel photo's were taken, and include what I think is an Essex Skipper, perhaps someone can confirm   :-)
Black antennae tips - Essex Skipper?
This Small Skipper certainly looks to have different antennae markings
No doubt about this one - a Gatekeeper
The most abundant Damselfly today were the Common Blues  -:
Female Common Blue
Male Common Blue
This one was mating, its other half was obscured, so I couldn't get them both in shot.
This Common Darter, an immature, was only just in camera range -:
Immature Common Darter


2 comments:

Mike H said...

No expert Warren but Black antennae tips usually mean Essex.

Warren Baker said...

Thats my thought it Mike :-)