Wednesday 9 January 2013

Once again a LITTLE OWL was heard calling as I walked to work, but also a TAWNY OWL (55) was heard to call, good to get this species on the year list early on  :-)

Another Little Owl was heard to call from the Small Holding as I passed through on my walk to the lakes this afternoon, I checked out the Wet Woods on the way, but it was fairly quiet here with only a few MALLARDS and MOORHENS on the pools  of water, a flock of LONG TAILED TITS were hosting  two GOLDCREST plus one or two GREAT and BLUE TITS.

The lakes have reverted back to their normality now the peace and quiet of the holiday season has passed, just 4 Mallards, 2 Moorhen and the COOT were seen, a pair of CORMORANT were sitting up in some nearby trees. I was enjoying looking at a group of five BULLFINCH in the adjacent Scrubby Woods, that was until a SPARROWHAWK chased them off !

I headed home across the sheep pasture between the Wet Woods and Tree Nursery, finding a good flock of around 150 birds, most of these were FIELDFARE, but there were some STARLING and just one or two REDWING amongst them, anyway they all flew off pretty quickly when the (same?) Sparrowhawk came hurtling over!

My last port of call was the Tree Nursery, where the best I could muster was a pair of MEADOW PIPITS, a GREEN WOODPECKER and a PHEASANT.

Once home I was a bit annoyed to see it actually got lighter as the sun started to set, the cloud parting just as the sun was disappearing, This allowed me to snatch a few grainy Woodpecker shots from my study window  :-)
Green Woodpecker, he's enjoyed my apples all winter so far  :-)
Green Woodpecker
Green Woodpecker
Green Woodpecker
Great Spotted Woodpecker, On the 'Blog log'

3 comments:

ShySongbird said...

Lovely photos again Warren, that Green Woody has really taken to your garden :-) The birds in my garden haven't shown as much interest in the apples I speared on to branches this Winter as they uaually do although I expect that to change if we get a really cold snap.

We had lovely sunshine most of the day but unfortunately I wasn't able to get out with the camera to take advantage of it!

Warren Baker said...

Hi Songbird,
Shame you couldn't get out in the sun today, looks a bit better for sun this weekend, a bit colder though. Persevere with the apples!

Anonymous said...

Nice ones Warren. My apples are being ignored by everything :(