Wednesday 5 December 2012

There was no patch visit today, apart from the walk in - and then the walk back again from work, where the only noteworthy occurrence were the two KESTRELS hunting over the Tree Nursery/Greenhouse Grounds.

The reason for not getting out on my patch this afternoon was that I met up with a friend, we then went on to Bough Beech reservoir, a few mile s away, to try and get some Barn owl photo's. We stood out in the chilly wind for some while, watching and waiting, but apart from a troop of Long tailed Tits, little was to be seen. A short while before dusk, I heard the ''chink chink chink' call of a Blackbird, the one they use to mob Owls and the like  :-) As my feet were now freezing I decided to go and investigate, more to get the blood recirculating than anything, but I was rewarded when from out of an ivy covered tree the Barn owl flew, giving me a brief but enjoyable view of it as flew across the field with the dying sunlight on it, I just about raised my camera, but got no sort of photo - a shame :-(  The owl headed off across an adjacent field and that was the last I saw of it - but see it I did - fantastic birds :-)


6 comments:

Lancs and Lakes Outback Adventure Wildlife Safaris said...

At least yours flew Warren - mine stayed in the entrance to his box until my toes could stand it no more

Nice one

Cheers

Davo

ShySongbird said...

Hi Warren, It's nice to have a change of scene sometimes and you were rewarded with the Barn Owl :-)I only know I've seen one because it is crossed off in my childhood copy of The Observers Book of Birds, other than that I haven't even had a glimpse of one!

Warren Baker said...

Hi Davo,
It was a bit nippy on the toes out there this evening, Barn Owl better off in its box! :-)

Warren Baker said...

Hello Songbird,
Ive still got my Observers book of birds too ;-) The Barn Owl wasn't crossed off until the 1990's!

Marc Heath said...

I'm surprised you didn't get a nosebleed Warren, being off the patch. It's good to look elsewhere sometimes.

Lancashire and Lakeland Outback Adventure Wildlife Safaris said...

Forgot to mention I still have a very well thumbed Observer's Book of Birds too...an absolute must have classic!

Available for a couple quid on a well know book buying website
Cheers

D