Tuesday 4 December 2012

Its getting difficult out there now! The afternoons are so short at this time of year, there is barely time to get over to the lakes and back before dusk sets in!
15:00hrs and dusk is nigh  :-(
My visit to the lakes didn't turn up a nice new Duck species, only 3 pairs of MALLARD and a few MOORHEN were about, GOLDRESTS continue to be around in good numbers, a pair were seen around the lakes edge, and as I fruitlessly searched for a Treecreeper in the Wet woods earlier 5 more were seen.

Flyover LESSER REDPOLL and SISKIN were heard as I scoured the vegetation at the Tree Nursery, hoping for a Snipe or Woodcock to fly up, or maybe a Barn Owl if I was extremely lucky, but nothing of that ilk was found - maybe if it turns colder I may have a chance of those species. In the end I had to make do with the GREEN WOODPECKERS, WRENS, DUNNOCKS, ROBINS, SONGTHUSHES and BLACKBIRDS, even a Pheasant would have cheered me at this point, not found one yet this month  :-)

My luck changed however, whilst I was back home filling the feeders in the dwindling light, I spotted a movement on one of the many apples that I have staked out to attract the invasion of Waxwings to my garden  :-)  This bird was not a Waxwing though, it was a BLACKCAP (51), a female bird, what a good Summer species to get on the December list  :-)  The last record of Blackcap here was on October 14th, no doubt todays bird was a Blackcap from the continent, not one of our Summer birds. I always put my camera in the shed when I'm filling the feeders, even when its nearly dark, just in case something turns up, I only had to wait a few minutes and the Blackcap returned, I got my photo, but on such a high ISO the images were a bit grainy and soft, the one below is the best of a bad lot - I'll take it though  :-)
Female Blackcap



8 comments:

Greenie said...

Warren ,
Like the '3 o'clock rays' shot .
Well done with the Winter Blackcap .

Warren Baker said...

Thanks Greenie,
Just had to copy your efforts with the Blackcaps ;-)

Warren Baker said...

Hi Steve,
Only two more weeks and the nights start to turn again........albeit very slowly!

Marc Heath said...

A nice reward Warren and nicely caught. I've even resorted to going out in my lunch time now as the mornings and evenings are so short.

Pete Woodruff said...

Nice December Blackcap Warren.

Most of my Blackcap sightings are male and I've never been able to work out if theres anything significant about that so presumably sheer coincidence.

Adam said...

great blackcap

Jason K said...

I bet that female Blackcap lifeted your spirits Warren! It's always great to see over-winterers

ShySongbird said...

A lovely little Blackcap Warren. I'm hoping I will see them in my garden again soon. These short afternoons are awful, I really hate them :-( I have spent a lot of time lately chasing a small flock of very local Waxwings and missed them by an hour yesterday!