Monday 5 November 2012

With the evenings now drawing in, my afternoon patch visits will get shorter and shorter until the end of the year, but at least for now,  90 minutes is still available to me before dusk  :-)

This afternoons visit was mostly spent around the Lakes and Scrubby Woods area, hoping for a wildfowl species to appear on the lake, or a Woodcock to be found in the Scrubby woods, neither happened though, just half a dozen MOORHEN were on the water, plus a KINGFISHER. The gas cannons from the surrounding farmland add one more reason for these water bodies to be devoid of wildlife! In the Scrubby Woods a group of four BULLFINCH were seen, but just too far for a photo - as usual  :-) Apart from those, it was down to seeing the GREAT TITS, BLUE TITS, and a lone COAL TIT, with the regular SONGTHRUSH'S, BLACKBIRDS, WRENS, DUNNOCKS, and ROBINS.

I had time for a wander around the Tree Nursery, hoping for a Snipe, a scarce bird here unless it gets cold and snowy, but none were found, however 6 MEADOW PIPITS flew up and dropped back down further into the vegetation and the resident GREEN WOODPECKERS were also seen. Flyovers from FIELDFARE, SKYLARK, LESSER REDPOLL and SISKIN were had, but not from the Stock Dove that still avoids the months list, I also haven't recorded any Geese this month yet, these along with the Linnet are the most probable species to turn up for November.

Not a very inspiring walk, but thats November for you!

I got home in time to catch the dying rays of  just creeping over the garden wall and onto my feeders, enabling me to grab a photo of the NUTHATCH  :-)
Nuthatch
Nuthatch

5 comments:

Ken. said...

Warren.
It might not have been a very successful outing today but I reckon 4 Bullfinch isn't a bad find. Hopefully you won't have to wait too long for a goose sighting.
Nice Nuthatch photo's.

Pete Woodruff said...

I estimated 18,000 Pink-footed Geese early October on Pilling Marsh. I'll send a couple down to you in Kent Warren.

The Nuthatch is brilliant.

Alan Pavey said...

Nice pics mate, Kingfishers always brighten a walk, I'm always happy with that :-)

ShySongbird said...

Beautiful photos of the Nuthatch Warren. It's wet and miserable here today, hope it's better there.

Warren Baker said...

Songbird,
It was crisp and bright......then I finished work and it was dull and miserable!