Sunday 21 October 2012

What an utterly miserable day today was, I left for my patch walk at 07:15hrs, in moderate rain, 90 minutes later it was still raining, and with me getting wetter by the minute and my binoculars getting more useless with the constant rain getting onto the lenses, I gave up my walk half way round  :-(

In the 90 minutes I was out, I walked the Tree Nursery, Pub Field and the Greenhouse Grounds, finding 31 species, but numbers of birds were low, apart from a good gathering of at least 40 MEADOW PIPITS on the Pub Field, and four skeins of flyover GREYLAG GEESE, they were seen in flocks of 6, 9, 34 and 46. Other flyovers included singles of CORMORANT,  REDPOLL and SISKIN, 4 SKYLARK, 2 HERRING GULLS and 5 BLACK HEADED GULLS.

Both the SPARROWHAWK and KESTREL were hunting at the Greenhouse Grounds, where a small mixed flock of BLUE and GREAT TITS were joined by a GOLDCREST.

Its still raining now at 16:10hrs, and hasn't really got light all day, what a way to celebrate my fifth anniversary of blogging!  No chance of any photo's today, even from the garden, where the Marsh Tit continues to feed, when not being interrupted by the frequent attacks of two Sparrowhawks!

7 comments:

Jason K said...

Sounds pretty grim weather wise. at least the mist burnt off here after a while

Warren Baker said...

Steve,
It looks good on my patch for a passing Wader !

Warren Baker said...

Jase,
It is grim, it has been all weekend :-(

Warren Baker said...

Hi Songbird,
Yes, I've got my fingers crossed for a Brambling at the garden feeders this year :-)

Marc Heath said...

I was going to say what a crap day but I've just seen an OLIVE BACKED PIPIT at Reculver. Happy days!!

Anonymous said...

We had a cracking blue sky morning here Warren...but not much to show for it.

ShySongbird said...

Miserable here too Warren, both yesterday and today. It's supposed to be much colder next weekend though so maybe that will liven things up a bit.