Saturday 7 July 2012

I just about managed to get four hours out this morning for the 60th full patch walk of the year, before more showery rain set in for the remainder of the day. Of the 48 species recorded, none were of the target species that are most likely to be added to the July list, those being, Mistle Thrush, Yellowhammer, and Hobby, each of these are about as scarce as each other here in July.

So I was left to enjoy the likes of the SPOTTED FLYCATCHER family at the College Grounds, which were showing really well, I didn't take any photo's of them today, but an equally obliging CHIFFCHAFF wasn't too far away, so I snapped away at that instead  :-)
Chiffchaff
Chiffchaff
Chiffchaff
Other enjoyable birds seen here were a singing COAL TIT, a GREY HERON fishing on one of the ponds, GOLDCREST, GREAT SPOTTED and GREEN WOODPECKERS,  JAY, SONGTHRUSH, BLACKCAP, plus the HOUSE SPARROWS pictured below,  flyovers from LESSER BLACKED BACKED, HERRING, and BLACK HEADED  GULL helped pack the day list out  :-)
Immature House Sparrow
On  the walk back out to Migrant Alley and the Greenhouse Grounds, a TURTLE DOVE was seen on top of a pylon, where it ''purred'' loudly, and a family group of LINNETS were also seen, one posing nicely for a photo.
Male Linnet

Male |Linnet
I cant resist taking pictures the young SWALLOWS, there were eight youngsters on the paddock fences today, while overhead the adult  KESTRELS were up hunting, being kept an eye on by the wary Swallows, all three young Kestrels are still doing ok too.
Immature Swallow
The cloud built in for the second half of my walk over to the Lake area and Scrubby Woods, via the Small Holding and Wet Woods, where the camera played no further part in the mornings walk, just too dark in the Trees now! I added the likes of TREECREEPER, NUTHATCH, LONG TAILED TIT, and SPARROWHAWK, for the morning, three eclipse MALLARDS, 7 CANADA GEESE, and a pair of MOORHEN were the only lake dwellers today, I couldn't see any Coot, but there are quite a few places they could be hiding in, I dont think the youngster will have flown just yet. Only 3 SWIFTS were seen today, they will get fewer by the week now, as they head off back to Africa. I ended the visit in the Tree Nursery, where the WHITETHROATS were seen, and the only PHEASANT of the day struted out onto the track ahead of me.

3 comments:

ShySongbird said...

You certainly managed some lovely close photos Warren, I'm sure that superglue helps though ;-) I love the second Linnet photo!

More heavy downpours here but it does stop briefly now and again unlike yesterday. More of the same here for the next ten days or more :-(

Warren Baker said...

Songbird,
I'm resigned to losing the summer now, i'm getting ready for Autumn :-)

I'm stocking up on super glue :-)

Greenie said...

Warren ,
You were lucky to get out for that long .
I agree with ShySongbird on the second Linnet shot , very nice .
Not the 'A' word already !