Wednesday 9 November 2011

At last the weather has cheered up! The cloud broke and some decent sunny periods were had for my afternoon patch visit, the first thing I did was take some more wheat over to the tall hedge at Migrant Alley, where the KESTREL was again up hunting, and a FIELDFARE gave some decent views as it tried to hide in the leafless Hawthorn bush. As I approached where I had scattered yesterdays wheat, I heard the familiar trilling of YELLOWHAMMERS,  5 had found the wheat already, what a good start! I hung around for a few minutes to see if I could get a photo of them but they were far too wary for that.

Fieldfare
I then made my way over to the Lakes, via the Tree Nursery, where there were at least 20 MEADOW PIPITS flitting about in the shrubs. Over at the lakes, a GREY HERON had joined the MALLARDS and MOORHENS, but nothing new 'duckwise' was found. I searched the surrounding area and Scrubby Woods, and came across a feeding flock of NUTHATCH, TREECREEPER, GOLDCREST, and GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER, they all fed in the same Oak tree, which made it convenient for some attempted photo's, although it was a bit dark under the trees.

Nuthatch

Treecreeper
I missed the getting the Goldcrest photo, it was just too quick  :-)  I got a bit carried away with the time during the first photography session in days, and I realised the sun was fading fast, I wanted to get over to the Pub Field before it was too dark so to check for Lapwing, so had to move on. I was very pleased to find 30 plus LAPWING on the seedling grass Pub Field when I arrived, along with 23 BLACK HEADED and 7 HERRING GULLS, I carefully scanned the field in case there was a Golden Plover about, but it wasn't a plover I found, it was a COMMON BUZZARD! The Lapwing and Gulls seemed to tolerate the Buzzard, so long as it stayed on the floor, but when it took off, so did everything else! It was growing very dim by now, but from my hiding place I watched the Buzzard alight at the top of a pine tree, quite far off. I was in the wrong light for photo's but I quite like the effect  :-)

Buzzard in the dying light
Then off it went
It came towards me for short while, then veered off, fantastic birds!!

12 comments:

Alan Pavey said...

Who put that branch in front of that Fieldfare!!?? ;-). Great shot Warren. I'm glad you had some light for a while, you certainly made the best of it.

Warren Baker said...

Alan,
There's always a branch in the way :-)

Lancashire and Lakeland Outback Adventure Wildlife Safaris said...

deadly dull all day again here Warren, apart from a five minute spell this morning when a red admiral appeared. Excellent buzzard silhouette

Cheers

Davo

Warren Baker said...

Davo, I forgot to mention - I had a Red Admiral here today too . :-)

Bob Bushell said...

Brilliant Fieldfare and the Buzzard, he is fantastic.

Phil said...

Super photos today Warren, I think I might remove my poor Fieldfare effort after seeing yours!

Greenie said...

Warren ,
Good to see some sunshine in the shots .
Super silhouettes .

BlueShell said...

Oh, man...great photos...gorgeous...magnificent!!!

BlueShell said...

Oh, man...great photos...gorgeous...magnificent!!!

Anonymous said...

The Nuthatch is my favourite. Well captured, Warren.

Ornitocampero.blogspot.com.es said...

Very nice birdwatching and a few nice pics too.......how lucky you are of having the time of doing those trips so often....enjoy!
Saludos.

Millhouse Photography said...

I love a buzzard Warren! They are magnificent aren't they. I can't believe that I didn't even know they existed until a copule of years ago! Smashing shots mate and a nice account.