Thursday 7 July 2011

Walking home from work this afternoon I narrowly avoided a soaking from a hefty downpour, just getting home in time. The weather didn't look too good as I ate lunch, a strong gusty wind blew and the sky was dark, but having finished lunch I decided I would go out anyway, albeit without the camera again.

I walked over to my seat at Migrant Alley for a sky watching session, at least here I was near to cover if the rain came again, but it never did, I saw big shower clouds pass to the east and west of me, but never did they come directly over - a bit of luck! Alas, that was the only luck for me on my skywatching session, I sat for two hours in a blustery, but warm wind, not getting to see my target species, a Hobby, or a possible Migrant Sand martin.

I did see three species of Gull though, LESSER BLACK BACKED, HERRING, and BLACK HEADED, all looking spectacular against the dark clouds as some weak sunshine showed them off. The whole time I was there, SWIFTS were in the sky, some were local, but others were no doubt migrants, all heading SW, seems like they've only been here a few weeks. The CHIFFCHAFF behind me in the Tall Hedge was another reminder of the progressing year, it had changed its tune from 'Chiff-chaff'' to 'Hu-itt', but at least the SWALLOWS were here to stay for a few months yet, at least a dozen fed over the sheep pasture, they will get another brood in before departing in October.

Not much else was seen, STOCK DOVES, WOOD PIGEONS, a mixture of Corvids, and one each of SPARROWHAWK and KESTREL, it was nice to see a resplendent male YELLOWHAMMER come bounding over, and alight in the Tall hedge, not seen many of these in the last few months.

Same again tomorrow!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Same again tomorrow!!!"
It`s looking that way, Warren. Rubbish up here as well.

Warren Baker said...

Its been up and down all summer Dean, need a bit of settled weather, :-(

ShySongbird said...

It's just starting to pour again here for the umpteenth time this afternoon, I'm fed up with it :(

I've seen more Yellowhammers this year than I have in the last five or more!

Have a good weekend Warren :)

Warren Baker said...

It's a real pain 'aint it Songbird :-)

Good job you're seeing Yammers, at least they are doing well somewhere !

Pete Woodruff said...

Dedication and determination, you overflow with both. Admirable....keep up the good work Warren.

Bob Bushell said...

The weather seems worse, poor us!