Thursday 16 June 2011

Another blustery showery day! Is it really midsummers day in 5 days time ?

I got just an hour out this afternoon, probably the best hour of the day though, but I didn't stray too far from the house, as I new the next hefty shower wasn't far away. I had a walk around the Greenhouse Complex, and was quite surprised how warm it was out of the wind and in the sheltered sunny spots, this prompted a few Butterflies to venture out, Small Tortoiseshell, Red Admiral, Large and Small white as well as a Comma, my first since the 20th May, were all seen.

There wasn't much to note birdwise, the KESTREL hunted overhead, and a HERRING GULL passed over, a WHITETHROAT could be heard singing, as could its cousin the LESSER WHITETHROAT. DUNNOCKS, BLACKBIRDS, SONG THRUSHES, LINNETS, and HOUSE SPARROWS were all with young, of varying ages, and a young BLACKCAP stopped briefly in front of me giving a chance to get a photo of sorts ( Below)

I dared to walk that bit further, over to my Sky watching seat to have another attempt to record a Hobby for the June list, but it never showed in the short time I was there, in fact very little did, just two STOCK DOVES of note. The next heavy shower was approaching fast now, and the wind picked up in strength, so I beat a rapid retreat homewards, just making it before a torrential downpour!

An hour later, the rain stopped, and I attempted some garden photography, but at that time in the afternoon the trees in my garden block out the light, so chances were limited to this young Greenfinch

and this fed up looking WOODPIGEON, I know how it felt :-)



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bet that Woodpig isn`t as fed up as me, Warren ;-)

Warren Baker said...

Heh heh heh , no Dean, I doubt it is :-)

Phil said...

Not a great summer's day Warren. I'm spending the next three days on the banks of the Hampshire Avon. Mostly under an umbrella I fear.

Warren Baker said...

Going away again phil! Blimey! :-)

ShySongbird said...

In answer to your question Warren (although I know it wasn't a real question) no it isn't ;) June 21st is officially the first day of Summer and just three days later is Mid-Summers day!! Crazy isn't it :)

It is more like April here, well like April should have been.

The lack of butterflies here is worrying, I don't know what is going on.

The Woodpigeon did look fed up :)

Derek Faulkner said...

Now come on Warren, if we was into our third day of hot and sunny weather, you'd be complaining about the heat and having to get in the shade of trees - you know what you're like.

Rob said...

I envy your ability to recognise bird song Warren. It sounds like a regular choir practice around your Greenhouse Complex.

Alan Pavey said...

Hi Warren, It was a case of dodging showers today, I haven't recorded Hobby yet this month, they can't be far away :-)