Wednesday 22 December 2010

This afternoon after work, I headed out through the small holding and on to the Wet Woods then the lakes area. In the Small Holding I could here a LITTLE OWL calling, but couldn't locate its hiding place, despite much scanning.

In the Wet Woods, the trees dripped, as the last of the snow on the branches thawed, the pools of water below are showing signs of defrosting, but have a way to go yet I feel. Scanning the trees I saw a flock of LONG TAILED TITS heading my way, so I kept still and allowed them to pass me by, hoping they would come close enough for a photo, but they didn't :-( With them were just a couple of GREAT and BLUE TITS plus at least 2 TREECREEPERS, both SISKIN and FIELDFARE flew over calling as I watched the feeding flock.

On reaching the lakes I had good, but brief views of a COMMON BUZZARD as it went low over, the lakes themselves however were just about turning to water, but only around the edges, I don't think the water will be thawed this year at this rate ! Two MALLARDS circled over, and were as disappointed as I was to find no open water, and they flew off again.

I took a walk around the scrubby area, and was well pleased to see a whole host of birds, nothing to spectacular but lots the common birds were noted, another flock of around 14 Long Tailed Tits were seen, this one was joined by 4 GOLDCREST, 2 COAL TIT, 2 NUTHATCH, a few Blue and Great Tits and a GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER. Walking further on I found BULLFINCH, GREENFINCH, GOLDFINCH, CHAFFINCH another pair of Goldcrest, a couple of Fieldfare, and 12 REDWINGS that dropped in and constantly called from the cover of the snowy brambles. At one point a PEREGRINE flew over, panicking everything, but they soon all settled back down as it passed over.

Before leaving, I had recorded at least 10 Goldcrest, and heard a couple of LESSER REDPOLL flying over, plus I had another two Raptor Species, both KESTREL and a SPARROWHAWK were seen, the latter speeding through the tree tops, causing much more panic than the Peregrine had earlier. Four Raptor species in an hour is not bad going :-)

As dusk was nearing, i took a brisk walk over to the Tree Nursery and Pub field, singles of both COMMON and BLACK HEADED GULLS were on the latter, and the Tree Nursery held nothing new, but a YELLOWHAMMER called as it flew over. A very quick look was had at the wet patch of ground on the boundary of Migrant Alley and the Greenhouse Complex, and once again SNIPE were recorded, 5 flew up and alighted 60m further along the field edge, I'm getting used to seeing Snipe everyday now, to think some years they go unrecorded on my patch, or at the most just one or two are seen for the year!

I attempted some photographs today, but the light was very poor, and the snow 'back lit' everything making it worse!

Here's the flyover Peregrine.

and a PHEASANT from the Tree Nursery


This apple tree grows in a private garden on my patch, and represents my best chance of attracting my first patch Waxwing, I check it every time I pass, no Waxwings today, just a MISTLE THRUSH and 4 BLACKBIRDS :-)




7 comments:

Monika said...

Backlit or not, I love that pheasant picture!

Greenie said...

Warren ,
It certainly was hard work photographing today .
Still waiting for my first Redpoll of the year .

Marc Heath said...

As has been said, photography was very hard today, low cloud and all that but i hope you get your Waxwing present soon.

Adam said...

Warren - it pains me each day to read that you're still Waxwingless (while other bloggers have up to 600+ on patch!). They will come to you .....when you extend the patch to take in the school and High Street ;-), Guess you put one on your list to Santa?

Ad

Bob Bushell said...

Yes, the light is a little bit offish. You caught the Peregrine Falcon and a Pheasant as well.

Anonymous said...

You did better than me Warren. I never opened my notebook.

Jason K said...

The Peregrine photo is still a good record shot, so dont be too disappointed...considering the light etc its not too bad