Monday 22 November 2010

Another 'lost' day as far as visiting my patch today, as I am still suffering from this bug, so it was a day of garden watching again, which is unlikely to bring me a new species for the month.............or is it ?

During the morning nothing different from yesterday visited the feeders, but there was an increase in COLLARED DOVES, 17 now fought over the sunflower hearts. Again 3 GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKERS all visited at the same time, at one point having a 3 way scrap as they all met in my Elder tree.

Early this afternoon, the COAL TITS, NUTHATCH'S and JACKDAWS arrived, as well as the MARSH TIT, which hasn't been in for a few days, however, the undoubted highlight for the day, was seeing a fabulous FIRECREST (109, 66) picking off insects from my now leafless Honeysuckle, what a superb bird to have visiting my garden! I did have one visit back in October 2006, and thought it to be a one off never to be repeated event, by how wrong I was - fortunately.

So not only did I get a new species for the months list, but also for the year list! This now stands at 109, the joint best ever with last year. The months list is now just one off the best November total of 66 achieved back in 2008. As soon as I can get rid of this virus the better - I need to get out there again.

Below are a couple of very poor photo's of the fantastic garden Firecrest, I had to take them through the double glazing :-)



21 comments:

Greenie said...

Warren ,
Bet that one cheered you up .
What a brilliant garden tick .

Warren Baker said...

It did indeed Greenie :-)

Lancashire and Lakeland Outback Adventure Wildlife Safaris said...

Just knew you'd get a goodie and wot a stonker for a garden tick!

Stuff the virus - wrap up and get back out there.

Cheers
Davo

Lancashire and Lakeland Outback Adventure Wildlife Safaris said...

actually you might have the virus to thank for the firecrest! If you had been fit and well yiou'd have been out on teh patch and missed it!

Cheers
D

Warren Baker said...

You're right Dave,

I would have missed it - its an ill wind...........

Adam said...

What's wrong with those pics! I thought you said they were 'shaky' - if I'd taken them they'd make November on my 2011 calendar (after the brilliant 'Glossy Ibises' gracing the October 2011 page!). Keep up the good work Warren - can't wait to see which species is going to be the record breaker....my money is on Waxwing in next week's snow!

Fingers crossed!

Adam

Warren Baker said...

Adam,
Fingers crossed for the Waxwing indeed! I seem to be the only blogger without one :-(

Kelly said...

...glad the Firecrest visited your yard--excitement! That had to cheer you up a bit. Hope you are feeling well again soon.

ShySongbird said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris said...

Excellent Warren, well done on the firecrest mate! 109 is a terrific count for a year!!! Aiming at more than 80 here is a nightmare!

Marc Heath said...

Sod the photos, anyone who gets one of those in their garden should be well chuffed. I would be.

Bob Bushell said...

Oh, you are a brilliant man, I can't take a photo of the Firecrest. One up for you.

Stewart said...

Just fantastic Warren. I'll get one,in the garden, one of these days...

Phil said...

Hang on to that virus Warren. A fantastic sighting that you might not have got without the dreaded plague!

kirstallcreatures said...

Fantastic what a cracker Warren, I bet you were delighted, Linda

ShySongbird said...

Just realised my earlier comment made no sense Warren so have dumped it. I was trying to make a clever remark about not having seen a Waxwing either but it just sounded stupid!

Anyway, I am very, very envious of the Firecrest, I have never seen one anywhere let alone in my garden, well done!

Hope you improve soon :)

FAB said...

A very nice garden tick Warren. Hope you feel better soon. FAB.

Anonymous said...

What a bird to have in the garden, even if it is the 2nd one. Well done, Warren.

Jason K said...

What an amazing bird for your garden list...let alone your patch...nice one!

Monika said...

Looks like you might set the year record! Congrats on the firecrest, and I'm glad you're starting to feel a bit better.

Fraser Simpson said...

Well done on finding the Firecrest Warren. Nice shot of a little stunner!