Monday 11 October 2010

After all the excitement of the weekend, it was back to work today, so who knows what was missed this morning !

It was just light enough to see the start of some WOODPIGEON migration as I walked to work this morning, at least 150 birds were seen high up heading SW.
The walk home from work was all quiet, MEADOW PIPIT and SKYLARK were seen at Migrant Alley, but nothing more of note.

After lunch I paid a visit to the Lake and Scrub area, walking through the Small Holding and Wet Woods on the way, where just JAY, GREEN WOODPECKER, MAGPIE and a GREAT TIT were seen, oh how things have changed from the weekend :-).

On the lake, yesterdays Pochard had moved on, but at least there was a KINGFISHER there with the usual MALLARDS and MOORHENS, as well as both CORMORANT and GREY HERON, making it relatively busy ! The bankside trees and vegetation had a mobile flock of LONG TAILED TITS moving through it, but nothing more interesting than two BLUE TITS and a Great Tit were seen with them. The scrub area had a couple of GOLDCREST calling, and a BULLFINCH was also heard. Whilst there I noted not only a Red Admiral butterfly, but also a single Small White and a COMMA.

I had a quick visit to the Tree Nursery, on the way back home, where the STARLINGS were finishing off the Laurel Berries, along with a few BLACKBIRDS and a SONGTHRUSH, but there were no migrant Redwings today . A KESTREL was up hunting over the Greenhouse Complex, but that was about it for today - back down to earth with a bump !

Above: The Cormorant on the Main lake. Below: a very old Common Darter



6 comments:

Lancashire and Lakeland Outback Adventure Wildlife Safaris said...

Down to earth with a bump after your bumper weekend...never mind there's still two or three out there with your name on them.

Cheers

Davo

Chris said...

What, no news species today. I got a flock of common crossbills yesterday, I think they have establish a population in Iceland ;-) Want some ;-)

ShySongbird said...

Ah but without the more run of the mill days you wouldn't appreciate ones like you had at the weekend so much!

I meant to say on the previous post well done on the Pochard, a shame to read it has moved on already though.

I still haven't seen a Kingfisher this year or last for that matter :( I thought perhaps it was because I don't get out in the early morning but I see your latest sighting was in the afternoon, oh well I will keep hoping!

Warren Baker said...

Songbird,
If you havn't already, try to learn the high pitched call, I always hear Kingfishers before seeing them :-)

Kelly said...

...after all the excitement of the weekend, a leisurely Monday will do! I would be jumping for joy if I caught sight of a Cormorant around my house!

Anonymous said...

Warren, does that mean it`s my turn for a good run ;-)