Saturday 21 August 2010

Normal service has been resumed, and a four hour patch walk this morning took place in grey, damp and windy conditions. I was hoping to add that one species needed to get to my patch target of 100 bird species for this year, alas it didn't show, it will take a scarce migrant species such as Redstart to take that honour, but maybe a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker will show, or something as mundane as a Partridge or Ring Necked parakeet..........

Anyway, this morning was a bog standard visit, 49 species showed up for me, the highlights being HOBBY, GREY WAGTAIL, CORMORANT and and a TAWNY OWL that called from the Wet Woods. KESTREL and SPARROWHAWK put in their almost daily appearance and the MARSH TIT was seen, also in the Wet Woods.

The best part of my walk was finding a mixed feeding flock in the College Grounds. Three well foliaged Oaks, and a line of Fir trees, over numerous shrubs, were full of activity, at least 7 SPOTTED FLYCATCHERS ( most Juvs) were seen, along with BLUE, GREAT, and COAL TITS, also at least 2 WILLOW WARBLERS, 4 CHIFFCHAFFS, 2 TREECREEPERS a family of GOLDCRESTS, a family of BLACKCAPS and a mass of LONG TAILED TITS ! It was quite something to stand amongst them, listening and watching, at times they were totally ignoring my presence and coming right up to me, I had left my camera at home, but the light was so dreadful i wouldn't have got very good pics anyway.

Not much else happening, the lakes and scrub were really quiet, which is frustrating, as there are plenty of Elder and Blackberries waiting to fatten up any passing warblers :-)

I'll be back at it again tomorrow - that 100th species is beckoning, I can feel it !

4 comments:

Wilma said...

Loved the wren photo from a few posts ago. That post was a great read, very exciting.

Warren Baker said...

Hi Wilma,
Thanks, glad you enjoyed it :-)

Anonymous said...

Warren, i`m rooting for you to find the 100th species. All the best with it mate.

Chris said...

Well you are not that far from 100 mate. I guess you'll do it ;-)