Tuesday 24 August 2010

Back on my patch today after yesterdays treat, and it started pretty slowly. There was nothing much about early in my walk, except a HOBBY, which flew over Ashes lane, the 6th bird species on the list. The only other summer birds noted were a WHITETHROAT, a few CHIFFCHAFFS and the local SWALLOWS around the College Stables.

Around 200 GREYLAG and CANADA GEESE flew over Migrant Alley, in large mixed flocks, and as I watched, I heard, then picked out two YELLOW WAGTAILS going over low headed S. things were slowly picking up.

After a drinks break, I made my way over to the lakes and scrub area, adding STOCK DOVE, TREECREEPER, NUTHATCH and LONG TAILED TIT to the daylist before reaching the lakes. A scan of a large Willow tree proved worthwhile, as I found two LESSER WHITETHROATS, a BLACKCAP and a possible Garden Warbler, but only a poor and brief view was had of it, before I lost sight of it. The Lesser Whitethroats were the first since Aug 1st.

A scan of the lakes was initially disappointing, with the usual MALLARD and MOORHEN seen there, but I was well happy to then see a COOT (76) swim out from the overhanging trees, the first Coot here since March 27th, a real scarce visitor, and a most welcome addition to the August list.

After having done a full circuit of my patch, I had accumulated 43 species, but I had time for another quick scan of Migrant Alley, where I had a small group of HERRING GULL fly NW, as well as finding some HOUSE MARTINS that avoided me this morning, I checked them as they circled round the sheep pasture and found a lone SAND MARTIN with them, a nice migrant species for my patch, however not as nice as the WHINCHAT I found on the fenceline! This is the fourth one this month, I had only one last August. Happy with that I made my way home for an early lunch.

I was out again at around 13:00hrs, back over at Migrant Alley for a skywatch, I stayed for a couple of hours and watched the Whinchat through my telescope to pass the time, as little else was seen. Just a KESTREL, SPARROWHAWK and a SKYLARK were to join the list, making a round 50 for the day, which ended up pretty good all in all :-)

Today's photo's are:

Above and below: one of the Lesser Whitethroats.

Below is a Swallow

lastly, almost the star of the day - the Coot :-)





6 comments:

Ken. said...

Hi Warren.
First of all, well done of having a good days birding at Dunge yesterday.
As for today, not a bad day all in all.50 is a good count.
The Sand Martin was a good find.
Nice photo's too Warren.

Ken. said...

PS. Warren, looking again at the Swallow photo, it is a great shot with the bright blue sky behind it, what settings did you use?

Warren Baker said...

Ken I had the camera on ISO 640 and was using 'Auto exposure bracketing' the photo I selected of the 3 exposures was the 'under exposed' one.

hope that helps !

Anonymous said...

Your enthusiam never wains, Warren and i for one congratulate you on that.

Jann said...

Congrats on the coot visit...as you know they're here during breeding/nesting and I've got some I watch at 'the pond'...anywho, nice photos, love the upshot of the swallow, lucky shot in my book as swallows are so hard to snap sitting still.

Chris said...

Well done Warren! That's a nice day list you got... Here it is starting to be desperate again. Went out yesterday evening and I saw.... NOTHING... All birds were gone... Hope some were just hiding ;-)