Tuesday 15 June 2010

More Fledgling BLUE TIT'S!....................

..........and more fledgeling MALLARDS


This afternoon I paid a visit to the lake side scrub area, mainly to see if i could locate the Garden Warbler that was heard last month, but also to escape the incessant cool NE wind!

On arriving at the lake, I gave it a good scan and found nothing! Not even a Mallard or a Moorhen, but it's not totally unexpected at this time of year. The scrub was fairly quiet too, no sign of the Garden warbler. A couple of BLACKCAPS were still singing, as was a CHIFFCHAFF, a BULLFINCH called from the dense bramble cover, and a JAY screeched from nearby. Some half hearted song was heard from SONGTHRUSH, BLACKBIRD, DUNNOCK and ROBIN. At least 3 TURTLE DOVES were seen, and one gave some 'purring' calls for a while.

Having not found the Garden Warbler, I decided to walk back over to the Tree Nursery, and check out the run off pool, which is still quite full for this time of year. As I crossed the Tree Nursery two LESSER BLACKED BACKED GULLS could be seen on the adjacent Pub Field maize crop, and above the Greenhouse Complex the daily sighting of the KESTREL was had.

I reached the run off pool, and hoped to find some Damsel or Dragon flies, but not one was seen, mainly because of the cool wind, and lack of sun I suspect! There were just a family of Mallard and a single MOORHEN found.

That was it for my visit today, not very exciting, but thats june for you ! This month is all about recording the breeding success of the residents species, of which just the JACKDAW joined the 'comfirmed as breeding' list for my patch, two recently fledged young were seen as I passed through the Small Holding on the way to the Lake.

4 comments:

kirstallcreatures said...

I tend not to be so sentimental about these things but I have to say that with those cutesy fledgling blue tit pics you are really spoiling us.

Anonymous said...

You were not wrong about the cold NE, Warren. Wearing a long sleeved top in June, isn`t the norm.

ShySongbird said...

Lovely baby photos :)

Jann said...

We just had three days of colder weather, overcast and rain...50's F in mid June, Ugh! Nice photos of the fledges; I haven't seen any yet but soon I'm sure.