Thursday 24 June 2010

Another hot and sticky afternoon, it's not so much the heat I dont like, it's the humidity, it makes you sweat just to breathe!

I spent two hours around the lakeside scrub area, and was surprised by just how much activity was there. Song from BLACKCAP and TURTLE DOVE rang out strongly, but the event that had me mesmorised, was a mixed feeding flock of at least 50 birds, maybe even double that, as I just couldn't keep tabs with all the young GREAT TITS, BLUE TITS, LONG TAILED TITS, COAL TITS, CHIFFCHAFF, TREECREEPER, NUTHATCH, and even a couple of GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKERS that joined the throng.

I stood and watched in awe as they filtered through the sun filled canopy around me, all constantly calling, some came quite close, and I was like a kid in a sweetshop with the camera, no sooner had I decided on one shot, a better prospect would pop up, and I'd miss them both! Most just never stayed still long enough, whizzing around me like moths!

The moment was broken when a SPARROWHAWK came through, and successfully took one of the Tits, after that all the birds moved off elsewhere, and I couldn't locate a single one!!

GREEN WOODPECKER, JAY, KESTREL, DUNNOCK, WREN, ROBIN, COLLARED DOVE BLACKBIRD, and SONGTHRUSH were also seen, what a great little place this is for birdlife.

I only had a short time at the Tree Nursery and Migrant Alley, and noted a few Butterflies around the flowering shrubs, Red Admiral, Peacock, and at leat 6 Small Tortoiseshells, a single worn Common Blue and loads of Meadow Browns in the rough grass areas. A short skywatch over Migrant Alley only gave me a HERRING GULL and a LESSER BLACK BACKED GULL.

Out of all those photographic opportunities, the only one I got was this LONG TAILED TIT, and that was into the sun :-)


9 comments:

Derek Faulkner said...

Blimey Warren, a lovely build up about being spoilt for choice and then just the one photograph, perhaps it was all that sweat in your eyes.
Seems the various tits have done well this year in the wooded parts of Kent, Mr. Sparrowhawk will be happy, hopefully Goldcrests have also done as well.
The final tally of fledged young Lapwing on The Swale NNR is shaping up to be very low.

Warren Baker said...

Some days are just like that Derek. I can spend hours on my patch and get no photographs, on other shorter visits I get loads! It's all luck :-)

ShySongbird said...

What a great place your patch is, Warren! Even though you didn't get the photos you wanted, the important thing is you had a magical moment.

You still got a nice photo of the LTT.

Warren Baker said...

Thanks songbird. My no. 1 commenter!

Phil said...

Sounds like an amazing sight Warren. Pity the Sparrowhawk came and ruined the moment!

Pete Woodruff said...

All a bit of an anticlimax what with the Sparrowhawk and all.

Keep at it Warren....as if you wouldn't!

Anonymous said...

There might have only been the 1 photo Warren, but you certainly captured it well.

Jann said...

Awww but what an adorable shot! :o) I have heard so many birds during my current trip to N Calif., but do I SEE anything?? UGH! Such is the plight of the birder I'm afraid. Sheesh.

Lancashire and Lakeland Outback Adventure Wildlife Safaris said...

It's been a long while since I saw a 'tit party' like that!
Small Torts seem to be faring better this year up here than of late - same down there?
Cheers

Davo