Thursday 4 March 2010

I had some important tasks to do this afternoon, and didn't finish up until around 16:30, so only a brief walk over to the lake area was had. It was worth the 40 mins I spent out, as I discovered a pair of MANDARIN DUCKS (48) skulking in the wet woods, only the second time I have recorded this species in this particular habitat, a nice addition to the March list.

Checking the lake, I couldn't find the Coot, it may have been hiding up, but I think it has probably moved on now. There was no sign of yesterdays barnacle Goose either, but 10 CANADA GEESE were present, with 4 MALLARD and 3 MOORHEN. Both GOLDCREST and one of the MARSH TITS were seen in the adjacent scrubby area, but I little time to see much else.

In my garden the SPARROWHAWK has made it's mark, very little was seen at the feeders today, and the Hawk was twice seen flying up to its hiding place in the Leylandi tree at the bottom of the garden.

5 comments:

Monika said...

Just catching up on the blog after having limited internet access for the last couple of weeks. Sounds like March is starting off pretty well for you! That barnacle goose from yesterday is a beauty.

Phil said...

That'll be the day Mandarin Ducks appear on my local list Warren!
Had a bit of Sparrowhawk trouble myself this week.

Anonymous said...

Still waiting for Mandarin to grace my patch Warren.

Greenie said...

Warren ,
I thought we were to Mandarin down at Keston Ponds last time I looked .
Carol saw the F. Sparrowhawk again yesterday in next door's garden .

ShySongbird said...

Well done on the Mandarins Warren! I would love to see some in my area.