Tuesday 26 January 2010

This afternoon I had an appointment with the local tree preservation officer, and at 14:30hrs I duly met up with her along Ashes lane. I showed her the 4 gardens with the the 15 or so Oak trees to the front of them, and the field of 40-50 Oaks which also butts onto the lane. She then produced a map of the properties, and told me one of them, plus the front trees of the field of Oaks, already had preservation orders on them, great start!

We surveyed the remaining trees in the gardens, and she seemed very amenable to the idea that these trees should link up with the ones already protected, but she did not commit herself to say that they would be, there are still some matters that need looking into. So I am quietly confident that the remaining trees along the lane will indeed be protected.........lets hope my optimism is well founded, i'll let you know more as I get any news.

After the meeting I just had enough light left to quickly go over to the lake, despite having to get a move on, I still encountered GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER, COAL TIT and the now 'usual' TREECREPERS, they really do seem to have ridden out this cold winter rather well on my patch, maybe due to the wet woods with all the rotten, insect infested wood helping them out.

I arrived at the lake with my same old expectations, what would be on it, Goosander, Teal, a Grebe species ? Maybe my first ever Tufted Duck to be seen there would turn up.............but no, just 9 MALLARD were seen, oh well, at least that is an increase on yesterday, something may drop down to join them tomorrow. :-). As I left the lake I was clutching at straws by scanning the sky looking for an incoming duck, but I was rewarded for my optimism, when two GREATER BLACK BACKED GULLS (64) flew over, that cheered me up, and almost took away the burning cold feeling in my fingers and cheeks, - that really was a cold NE wind out there today!

14 comments:

Greenie said...

Warren ,
I think you can give yourself a pat on the back , a really good opening move .
We all know the end game is the important bit , but the fact that the TPO is involved , let's hope for a win .

Phil said...

Well done Warren, you must be very pleased with your progress so far. Didn't get to the lakeside today.......had to go to Lakeside!
Phil

Oxonhoath Birds said...

Heard a marsh tit at Spring Place this morning Warren. Good luck with the trees mate.

ShySongbird said...

Well done from me too Warren! I thought about you and wondered how it was going, let us know when you hear something.

I have noticed quite a few Treecreepers on blogs lately, I suppose it is a lot easier to spot them when there are no leaves on the trees.

Chris said...

64 species I'm amazed! and jealous in the same time!! How come you get 64 species now!!! I hope the weather will be nicer soon for both of us so that we can get what we want ;-) to see more bird!!

Sharon said...

All sounds very optimistic Warren - well done!
And well done on number 64 :-)

Pete Woodruff said...

May I offer you my 'well done Warren' comment. As you can see everyone is anxious to see the final result of your effort's in the hope you're optimism is well founded.

Forest the Bear said...

Well done on the tree campaign Warren, behind you all the way!

Anonymous said...

Promising news then Warren. At least you set the ball rolling. Good on ya.

Monika said...

Fingers crossed about the trees!

I'm glad the gulls rewarded your effort out there in the cold!

Kelly said...

...sounds like good news. I hope the oaks remain protected. You're making a difference! Love the Tree creeper in the previous post...

Lancashire and Lakeland Outback Adventure Wildlife Safaris said...

2 GBBGs! A 'proper' reward for your sterling tree work.

Keep at 'em!

Dave

Steve said...

Well done Warren. Sounds like a potential result.

FAB said...

Good news with the TPO visit. Let's hope progress can be made to a satisfactory conclusion.