Monday 10 August 2009

Back to work today. :-(
On the way in however, I did locate one of the young SPOTTED FLYCATCHERS calling from a shrub at the college grounds, one of 3 new August birds seen today. As walked home across migrant alley, the second turned up, and one I have been looking forward to seeing, a WHINCHAT, this has to be one of my favourite summer migrants to pass through my patch, they come through most Autumns, in varying numbers, from late July through to Sept, and virtually always through the same area at Migrant Alley. 3 Migrant species in as many days now!

I was straight out after having something to eat and drink, and collecting my camera. I wanted to try to photograph the whinchat, which I relocated in the same area of weedy ground along the Maize edge, left by the pipeline works. I could only get within 30yds of it, but got a few record shots. Also in the weedy edge, were 5 SKYLARKS at least a dozen LINNETS and a couple of PIED WAGTAILS. A walk round the rest of the maize crop ddn't produce any more exciting migrant species, but a couple of TURTLE DOVES were on the fenceline. A little later I did some skywatching, and added the 3rd new species for the month - a COMMON BUZZARD, always exciting to watch these go over!

Above. The Whinchat. A far off photo, but you can see the salient features. The Turtle dove (below) didn't allow too close an approach either!

Below is another poor photo, but worth a try. Great to see Common Buzzards on my patch



11 comments:

Greenie said...

Warren ,
Migrant Alley living up to it's name again .
You might want to change 'July' to 'August' at the beginning of your post .
We'll put it down to 'back to work syndrome' .

Josh Jenkins Shaw said...

Good stuff Warren...

swatson said...

love the whinchat Warren.that Migrant Alley sounds a great place.
Sheila

ShySongbird said...

Lovely to see the Whinchat Warren, another bird I have yet to see but I don't think they are likely to be seen in my area.

Stewart said...

Warren, Turtle Dove is rarer than Icterine Warbler in Northumberland! eg - In 2008 there were 2 records of Turtle Dove but 13 of Icterine Warbler!

Warren Baker said...

Cheers greenie,
I get lost where I am at times, the year goes so quick!

Anonymous said...

A neat post to be sure. Not familiar with these birds.

Kingsdowner said...

A good set of records....who needs to go away?

Simon said...

Well done with the migrants Warren!

Kelly said...

I enlarged the photo of the Whinchat and he is a handsome little bird!

Mike said...

Shame u couldn't have got closer to the turtle dove, lovely birds.