Wednesday 15 July 2009

There was a strong gusty wind this afternoon, with just occasional sunny glimpses, this made it virtually impossible to photograph any butterflies, there wern't as many about in the cooler conditions anyway, apart from around the Buddlea bushes at the lake area, where the usual Peacocks, Red admirals, Painted ladies, meadow Browns, Comma's and Gatekeepers were seen. I had a quick look for Purple hairstreaks, and saw a few, but they were high up and being blown around.

Bird wise, not a thing - nothing, they are all hiding away! Well I say nothing, there was the odd Tit, and DUNNOCK, and a family of newly fledged WRENS in the wet woods, and although they did pose for the camera it was too dark under the dense canopy, the shutter speed was on 6 !

So that was it, one of my poorest 2 hours ever I should think!

Yesterday I forgot to put this photo on. It is a large hoverfly. I believe it to be Volucella Zonaria, but could be Volucella Inanis, it was as big as a Hornet.
Dean or greenie might know more.


7 comments:

Lancs and Lakes Outback Adventure Wildlife Safaris said...

My money's on V. zonaria.

D

Warren Baker said...

I think it is V. Zonaria.

Jann said...

Cool shot...any idea what the flower is?! Btw, the dickcissel bird I posted is called that due to the sound of its call, like many other birds..uh, in the US anyway!

Greenie said...

Warren ,
I'm keeping my hands in my pocket on this one .
It's one of the two but which ?
Only wildlife I saw today was Wasps , I was strimming a bank , and hit their nest , then they hit me , one on the back of the head under my helmet , and the other one under my jacket and through my shirt into my stomach , felt like being shot .

Anonymous said...

I`d also go for Zonaria. All 3 bands on Inanis are yellow, whereas yours shows more of a orangey/brown colour to the top band.

Kelly said...

...no idea what he's called, but he is cool looking. I like the flower as well...

Ken. said...

Hi Warren. I know what you mean about the weather. It seemed to play havoc with photo's and movie shots. Good response for your Bee. I hope tomorrow is a better day.