Friday 24 April 2009

Much more song was heard over at the scrub/lake area this afternoon, a few more BLACKCAPS have arrived, 4 were heard in full flow. The LESSER WHITETHROAT also gave some song, as did the resident species, especially a pair of GOLDCRESTS, which were both defending territories. No sign of of a Turtle Dove though.

Much scanning of the sky was done as I passed through the tree nursery, maybe that Hobby would fly over, or a Swift, although it is still a bit early for them on my patch. There is still quite a bit of disturbance in the nursery at the moment, as all the old rabbit fencing is being torn down. Migrant Alley of course is heavily disturbed, and only half an hour was spent there, again mostly sky watching, SPARROWHAWK and KESTREL were both seen, and a newly arrived Lesser Whitethroat sang from the hedgerow just feet behind me. As I walked home along ashes lane another lesser Whitethroat was singing, from a traditional territory in a brambly electricity sub-station, one of the few places on my patch left for them now.

Earlier while eating lunch, I noticed the first young Collared Dove and Blackbird in the garden, but they both eluded my photo attempts!

I only got one photo opportunity, that was of this Treecreeper, it stayed motionless for a minute or so, I'm pretty sure it was by it's nest site.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent Creeper shots, Warren. More than made up for the lack of any others.

Greenie said...

Warren ,
I wish Tree Creepers would stay still for me .
Only just finished editing today's photos . Great day out , and great birds .
Splitting head from sun and driving , will write up tomorrow .

Chris said...

Hi Warren,
So tell me, the blackbird, they do not stay around all year? Here they are jsut coming back too. Very nice shots of the treecreeper, this guy is so hard to take! You should check it again to see if it is nesting around. This could give you good opportunity to shot it again. Have a nice week end.

Simon said...

Brilliant Treecreeper photo. Keep up the good work!

ShySongbird said...

I love the Tree Creeper photo too. Oh dear, another bird I have wanted to see for ages! Maybe I just don't look in the right places.

FAB said...

Hi Warren. Tree Creeper well captured & getting such a shot would have made my day.