Tuesday 16 December 2008

I didn't hear any Owls this morning before dawn, only 15 days left to get that Tawny!
On the way home from work I gave the Maize stubble at migrant alley a scan, the dull, cold overcast conditions didn't make it much fun, nor did the assembly of species recorded. Just 5 BLACK HEADED GULL, and a sprinkling of REDWING and FIELDFARE.
I decided, once home, that I was just as likely to see something new for the month at the garden feeders, as I was in the woods, i e a Brambling. So I sat and watched the feeders from 14.00 to 15.30, at which time all but a ROBIN, and BLACKBIRD had gone to roost. I didn't get the Brambling, but 17 other species came to feed, with just 3 other species noted in the vacinity of my garden, WOODPIGEON, GREEN WOODPECKER and CARRION CROW, not one species was seen flying over, as the visibility was so poor I couldn't see anyway!
Here's a list of what came in, and the peak number seen.
BLUE TIT - 14
GREAT TIT - 5
COAL TIT - 2
CHAFFINCH - 6
GREENFINCH - 18
GOLDFINCH - 6
DUNNOCK - 2
HOUSE SPARROW - 5
COLLARED DOVE - 6
ROBIN - 2
STARLING - 9
BLACKBIRD - 3
JACKDAW - 2
MAGPIE - 1
NUTHATCH - 2
GREAT SPOTTED WOOPECKER - 3 ( Unusual to see 3 together, tolerating each other )
JAY - 1
Below are some photo's. But the light was so dire they aren't the best.


Above: A busy feeder with 5 Species visiting. I'll leave you to find and sort them!

Above: Blue tits at the fat blocks

Above. A Male Greenfinch

Above: A Goldfinch



Above. One of 3 GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKERS that visited. ( 2 Females and a Male)

Above: A Female Chaffinch

Finally a Male Blackbird. The dark beak, ( instead of yellow) and lack of yellow eyering, indicates this could have arrived from the continent






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a nice collection of birds at your feeder. They look similar to our birds, but yet so very foreign. It would be fun to just sit and watch and study their behaviors carefully for a day. I especially enjoyed looking at your woodpecker. There's something about their pattern that I like alot. Will see through your lens again soon.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Warren: I enjoyed your photos and low light is always a fight.