Sunday 7 September 2008

It was just about dry when I left for my walk at 06:30 this morning, but showers fell within half an hour, then more persistant rain fell for the second half of the walk! Its noticeable how few SWALLOWS are about, the cool wet weather means a lack of aeriel insects, so they've all moved elsewhere for a while. The only common summer migrants seen today were a single BLACKCAP, a single COMMON WHITETHROAT, and 2 CHIFFCHAFF, however the more scarcer migrants were represented by another (or yesterdays) YELLOW WAGTAIL and the months first WHEATEAR, both at Migrant Alley, they were seen feeding on Crane Flies the first ones i've noticed this autumn.. A poor total of just 40 species was seen today, disappointing for september. I hope we get some settled weather pretty soon, i'm getting fed up with walking in this rain!

Above and below the first September Wheatear
Below is a Linnet, probably one of this years young ones.




7 comments:

Mike said...

Cracking shots Warren very nice.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Warren: Beautiful photos of the birds.

Greenie said...

Warren ,
Great shots .
Trust me on this one - half a tablet tonight .
I can see the problem coming back .

Simon said...

Brilliant photos Warren. Couldn't send me some of your Wheatears and Yellow Wagtails?!!

Steve said...

Same as simon from me!

Warren Baker said...

Thanks for the comments guys. They always keep me going!!

darrell j prest said...

a good day.
i find blogs great for local patch watchers

ps

very jealous of the osprey