Monday 2 June 2008

There were only a few brief, bright intervals today, and that was early this morning as I walked to work. There was a distinct lack of song from any of the summer migrants, but SONGTHRUSH'S and BLACKBIRDS were trying to brighten the day. A strange scene appeared in front of me as I walked in, I noticed a squirrel, right on top of a telegraph pole, when I looked through my bins I could see it was dead! It must have been hit by a car and scurried up to the top of the pole and died, eyes wide open!
After work, and a wet walk home, i did some garden watching, which was pretty dire, lots of young birds about, GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKERS, DUNNOCKS, ROBINS, GREAT and BLUE TITS, also a hoard of starlings that came in every half hour or so. Otherwise it was a very uninspiring day.

Fledgling Blue Tit


Hoard of starlings, wolfing down the last of the crushed peanuts.


4 comments:

Josh Jenkins Shaw said...

I've only got baby Starlings and baby Dunnocks, but my Great tits should fledge soon. The weather is horrible!!
Josh

Warren Baker said...

Hi Josh,
Flaming June!
looks like a repeat of last years weather, not very good news for all the new fledged birds.

Steve said...

I agree....rubbish spring/early summer again...what is going on? That squirrel is weird!

Josh Jenkins Shaw said...

just found a newly fledged Chaffinch!