Friday 20 June 2008

A SPARROWHAWK flew low over Ashes lane as I left for work this morning, a thanks goes to the SWALLOWS that alerted me with their alarm calls, they saw it coming 15- 20 secs before I located it! Linnets were on the telephone wires along the lane, they now have broods of young in the hedge below, lets hope that Coblands will hold back on the flailing for a few weeks. The only other noteworthy birds on the way in were a COAL TIT calling at the college, and a GREY WAGTAIL on the stream.
This afternoon I spent a couple of hours at the lake area and tree nursery again, I always have hopes of seeing a Great Crested Grebe on the water, as I have recorded the odd one at this time of year, but not today, in fact it was totally devoid of ducks entirely! While I was there I encountered one of those wildlife moments that happen now and again. At this time of year and onwards into the Autumn I occasionally come across a mixed feeding flock of birds, most of them are this springs young, but some adults are around too. The one I watched today was made up of at least 12 LONG TAILED TITS, 2 TREECREEPERS, 3 GOLDCRESTS, 5 BLUE TITS and 2 GREAT TITS, they feed just feet away, oblivious to the observer, and give constant contact calls, brilliant to listen too.
On the way back through the nursey, the sun came out for a milli-second, and I saw 3 Meadow brown butterflies around a flowering blackberry bush, a good place to watch for insects, they seem to really go for the blackberry blossoms. A few yards on I came across my first Black tailed Skimmer of the year, excellent little insect!

Black Tailed Skimmer, It is meant to have yellow spots down the flanks, but they ware off with age - apparantly!
Meadow Brown Butterfly

Nothing!! The lake is quiet at most times of the year, particularly so in summer. With a bit of management it could attract all sorts of wildfowl and birds, shame.


2 comments:

John Young said...

Hi Warren. Keep watching those mixed feeding flocks. I've twitched many a rarity that has been found associating with them.

Steve said...

still not had Meadow Brown yet this year....and with this weather doesn't look like I am going to get one any day soon!