Saturday 28 June 2008

It's good to have all morning out on my patch, rather than just the half hours walk into work on weekdays, there is much more to see early on, rather than on afternoon visits. This morning, 4hrs from 06.30 produced 50 species, very little song was heard, 4-5 BLACKCAPS, 3 CHIFFCHAFFS, a short burst of LESSER WHITETHROAT, 2 COMMON WHITETHROAT, and at least one TURTLE DOVE was the effort from the summer visitors, DUNNOCK, SONGTHRUSH, and WREN joined in occasionally. The BARN OWL was again seen, I must admit I interrupted its roosting, it flew over to an oak tree, and as I sat and watched, it was back in the shack within 10mins, I won't disturb it at roost again, but I will go out at dusk sometime to see if its out hunting. At migrant alley an encouraging skywatch was had, a KESTREL, HOBBY, CORMORANT, and GREY HERON flew over, as well as two Gull species LESSER BLACK BACKED and HERRING. The usual SWALLOWS and HOUSE MARTINS were also observed, but there seemed fewer swifts, surely they're not leaving already!
Butterflies were represented, by Large Skipper, Meadow Brown, Small White, and at least 3 comma, I havn't seen these about for quite some time. A large dragonfly flew past - too far off to ID, and Blue damselflies were at the college pond, -Azure, Common, and blue tailed.

Barn Owl. Sorry Tyto I won't disturb you again.
Just look at those wing feathers.


This Skylark was singing loudly from the sheep pasture at migrant alley


Not as beautiful or as elegant as the Barn Owl, but this young Carrion Crow was being looked after by its noisy parents, they love it!



Stunning Comma butterfly in the sunshine

Anyone Know know what this Caterpillar will morph into. An Oak eggar ? or one of the Tussock moths ? Greenie, any ideas.





6 comments:

John Young said...

Love the barn owl Warren, what a great patch bird to have.

Greenie said...

Your caterpillar has taken a bit of research , as I didn't recognise it . I think it is the Brown Tailed Moth , don't touch them , can give you a rash even feel bad .
Those two pictures of Barn Owl are superb .

Greenie said...

Warren ,
Spurred on by yourself and others
I'm having a go at ;
www.greenieinthewild,blogspot.com

Warren Baker said...

Well done Greenie,
I look forward to reading about your wildlife exploits!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Warren: Love the shots of the Barn Owl, you captured him wonderfully.

Simon said...

Fantastic shots of the Barn Owl, some great sightings.