Friday 13 June 2008

It was bright and sunny first thing this morning, but cloud drifted in by 07:15. Little was of note as I walked in to work, just the usual ROOKS in the horse paddocks, 76 in all, along with a few CARRION CROWS, and JACKDAWS. SWALLOWS skimmed over their heads collecting insects, and the HOUSE MARTINS and SWIFTS fed much higher up. A small party of Linnets, possibly a family, flew over the sports pitch at the college, where in the grounds GOLDCREST and CHIFFCHAFF could be heard singing.
A short afternoon stroll round the tree nursery and lakeside didn't prove very interesting, although I did see a Fungus in the wet woods, having no knowledge of fungi I couldn't I.D it! A GREY HERON flew over the greenhouse complex, and more Linnets were seen amongst the shrubs in the nursery.


Anyone Know what fungus this is?


Grey Heron over the greenhouse complex

A lovely male linnet, with his raspberry dipped chest and forehead


5 comments:

Greenie said...

Warren ,
Your fungi looks very much to me like Amanita pantherina -
Panther Cap - one of the most poisonous members of the Amanita
family - only surpassed by
A.Phalloides - Death Cap .
Roger Phillips describes it as
Poisonous - may be deadly .

Warren Baker said...

Thanks for that Greenie,
I wont be touching that then!
I must get a fungi ID chart.

lee said...

hello warren getting of the subject i took asneaky look at your patch too see if i could find a peregrine but no luck yesterday i was at work in sealchart when a workmate shouted in the workshop from outside lee peregrine i grabed my binos and ran outside he told me a bird of prey dived from a great height behind the granary 2 mins later and up it come straight in front of us it was indeed a peregrine and it then climbed a thermal so high we lost sight of it awsome made my year

Warren Baker said...

Just shows lee, they can turn up anywhere

Warren Baker said...

Oh, by the way lee, the peregrine on my patch uses the tower as a lookout - come perch, keep an eye out there.