Sunday 8 June 2008

The early cloud soon was soon burnt off by an increasingly warm sun, and it became hot by the afternoon.
I set off at 06:15 on a four hour walk round the patch, and as it is often so in June, limited birdsong was heard, as many residents are now busy with young. CHIFFCHAFF and BLACKCAP did give a few verses, as did the ever willing COMMON WHITETHROAT. A bonus was a brief bit of song from a LESSER WHITETHROAT. Three Gull species were seen flying over LESSER BLACK BACKED, HERRING and the first BLACKHEADED for the month, these and the two Geese species GREYLAG and CANADA helped the day list up to a creditable 50. The bird of the day has to go to the first HOBBY of the month, circling over ashes lane, as I neared home.

This fox was with a well grown cub. It didn't seem to bothered by my presence.


Now.......Here's a delemma. These two Demoiselles look different but I reckon they are both Male Beautiful demoiselles, their wings just catch the light differently. I'm only a beginner when it comes to these beasties, as was shown by my wrongly labelled Azure blue damselfly yesterday. After being tipped off by Newhythe steve, I dismissed the Azure blue. The lack of a subtle black mark on the last body segment clinched it as a Common Blue.





the first Hobby of the month over Ashes Lane. Poor pics, but it's going on my photo album!







6 comments:

Steve said...

Well Done with the Hobby pictures Warren....any sort of picture of Hobby is good so glad you posted it!

Josh Jenkins Shaw said...

Hi Warren, great photos and your day list was very good! I was at Hadlow college today looking around at the courses, Hadlow is a lovely area with some great birds! Keep up the great blog.
Cheers
Josh

Warren Baker said...

Cheers guys.

John Young said...

Agree with Steve and Josh, keep posting those photos. You do see some nice wildlife. I'd love to come across a fox like that.

Simon said...

Great photos Warren.

Mike said...

Nice one Warren I've never seen an Hobby and nice Fox pics.