Tuesday 3 June 2008

Another dismal walk into work, as a fine, wetting rain fell - not the best conditions for seeing wildlife, my bins didn't even come out of my fleece! It did get a bit brighter in the afternoon, or did I just imagine it? I walked round the tree nursery and the fields at migrant alley, but there was little to record, a KESTREL hunted overhead, SONGTHRUSH'S, BLACKBIRDS, and the ever singing ROBINS were the only birds trying to make light of the gloom, with some cheerful song. I did see a pair of LINNETS looking suspiciously like they were in the vacinity of their nest site, i've yet to confirm breeding for this species.
By 15:30 the fine, wetting rain returned, so I gave up and went home to see what was in the garden. I found my latest delivery of bird grub on the doorstep, in it, was 6kg of fat pellets, I put out 1kg straight away, and it lasted 15mins! MAGPIE, JACKDAW and the hoard of STARLINGS took most of it, but Blackbird, Robin and DUNNOCK got a look in too. Young GREENFINCH, CHAFFINCH, BLUE and GREAT TIT continue to visit, and the female GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER brings in a Juv. every 15mins or so.
The weather forecast looks a bit brighter for tomorrow, lets hope so!

This male Chaffinch was the brightest moment of the day

My garden Elder tree has plenty of flowers on it, this bodes well for some decent amounts of late summer fruit. always appreciated by Blackcaps and Whitethroats as they pass through.

The only good thing about the rain is that it makes everything grow! The Maize at migrant alley is doing well, ! might get a migrant Sedge warbler in it later in the year


2 comments:

Steve said...

Fingers crossed the weather is better today...I have planned to go to Mereworth in search of Nightjar this evening....

Warren Baker said...

Weather looks good steve, mind the mossies though!