Thursday 1 May 2008

The waether improved a bit today, at least it stayed dry, but there was a gusty wind blowing which seemed to stem much of the songsters. A CUCKOO did call early on, as i walked in to work, and a BLACKCAP sang from a garden, but not much else happening. I found a GREY WAGTAIL on the stream at the college as I walked home, and both KESTREL and SPARROWHAWK were on the hunt over migrant alley, the later was attempting to surprise a flock of some 30 STARLING as they foraged for grubs to feed their young.
I walked over to the lake - scrub area and heard The patch WILLOW WARBLER, also a few Blackcaps, CHIFFCHAFFS and the Cuckoo. After sitting and listening for 45 mins. I moved on to migrant alley, where I took up my position on the horse jump. An hours skywatching was rewarded with a flyover LAPWING, a good May record for my patch, but still no Swift or Hobby.

In the garden I saw my first Common Newts of the year, 3 in fact chasing around, I hope to get a photo of them soon.

2 comments:

Simon said...

Welldone with the Lapwing Warren, never seen 1 over Mote Park. Last autumn I saw a flock fly over Maidstone town centre - which is about a mile away from the park.

Warren Baker said...

keep watching the sky Simon, bet you'll get more than just a lapwing to surprise you!