Friday 9 May 2008

The fine spell of weather continued today, and is forecast for the weekend, so i'll be up early in the morning to beat the heat. Back to today though, a couple of noteable occurrances, a GREY WAGTAIL was getting very aggitated, seems there could be a nest in the vacinity of where I was standing, also a pair of LONG TAILED TITS were feeding fledged young at the college grounds, where, best thing of all, a SPOTTED FLYCATCHER (86) was very vocal, in a large lime tree, just two days later than the mean arrival date. The college grounds are a traditional site for this species, and up to 4 pairs have been recorded hear, but more recently numbers have declined, last year just one nest fledged young, and the same birds had the first nest predated by a cat!
Now all the regular migrants have arrived (except Nightingale, which my patch has probably lost this year) it will be difficult to add new species to the year list. As I have said before my aim is to get 100 species in a year, maybe this, the 7th year, will be the one !

Looking north from my patch, the hills have ''greened'' up considerably in the past few weeks
This was the best photo I got of the Spotted flycatcher, they always seem a bit shy on first arrival.

5 comments:

Steve said...

Great news about the spotted fly warren. I get them around home most years but not on my patch.....yet...hope the weekend brings you something good....seem to be alot of Red-footed Falcon's around!

Warren Baker said...

Red Footed Falcon ! That would be good. I'd be pleased with a yellow wag or whinchat.
Have a good one this weekend Steve.

Simon said...

Great to hear about the Spotted Flycatcher Warren. I never seem to see them in the Park until the young have fledged and I hear their begging calls.

Warren Baker said...

Simon,
Spotflys, can be elusive little blighters when they first arrive. After they settle down they are easily seen, especially, as you say,once they're feeding young.

Travis said...

Great post. Glad to hear the news of your birds. That chick is just adorable.